PO'ed Bartender!! Don't Drink and Drive!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Simpson, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kindly bear with me, as I'm presently pissed. As in pissed off. And I'm feeling somewhat powerless. I tend a bar for a living; been doing it for greater than 15 years. It's an okay living (surely could be worse), the schedule is always flexible, I've got plenty of free time, and I often get to shoot the breeze with some really swell gals ('tho I happily co-habitate with an HT-lovin' cutie). But man...the worst part of any bar gig is dealing with drunken fools. Here's tonight's sordid tale: the dude entered the bar without my knowledge because I took a quick moment to have a smoke outside (my fault for not being more vigilant). The young, and easily intimidated, waitress thought she would help me out and serve the fellow, rather than interrupt my stay in Flavour Country (again, my fault). Upon my return to my post, it was readily apparent that the guy, with a beer before him, was rifled out out of his noggin. Now this chap is a semi-regular customer, whose habits are certainly not unknown to me. "How did you get here?", I quizzed? "Same way I always do...", he mumbled, with a mouth full of marbles. After much back and forth, it was determined that he had every intention of driving his mini-van once done with my service. Nothin' doing, says I, and I was able to gently pry the beer from his hand before he even had a a sip (I wound up paying for, and drinking, his crappy beer). Here in Ontario, we are not liable if the customer is denied any service (and that includes a glass of water). I implored him not to drive, and indeed, suggested that if he did drive, to find another bar for the future. A second waitress was outraged enough to attempt to summon the law, but couldn't find the number in the book for a non-911 situation (I was dealing with last call, and was therfore too busy at the time to get on the phone, and at that time of night, my bosses are long gone).
    That's the tale; I'm simply venting. I have no doubt that I did the right thing (I cannot lay a hand on him without being charged with assault), and yet, I'm frustrated beyond belief.
    Please: if you plan to drink, be sure your car has no part of it. As though that actually bears repeating.
    Thanks.

DS.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Dave,
    So, you're upset, angry, chagrined, unhappy, irritated, vexed, and full of woe.
    I have so many questions and comments I don't know where to start.
    "The dude" snuck in to satisfy his addiction while you were sneaking out dealing with yours? Your staff is not really trained to handle a common ongoing, dangerous problem?
    You don't think a drunk about to get behind the wheel is a 911 type of situation?
    You drank a crappy beer?

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Henry,

I'm sure you've got plenty of questions; I've provided the short version of the event.
    Yep, he walked in while I was on the patio having a smoke. Breaks are few and far between in this biz, and I'll never be made to feel guitly about taking them where I can get them. And in fact, the staff (which is not mine, by the way; I'm simply a part of it) is trained to deal with occurences such as this, but all the world's training will not overcome the intimidation factor weilded by a large 40+ man over a 21 year-old gal.
    And yeah, I do think a drunk behind the wheel is an emergency situation, but on a Friday night in a city of this size, this situation would likely be assigned a lower priority. However, following a good night's sleep, I think you're correct. Too late now, but I wish I had taken down his license number and called the fuzz.
    And the beer was really crappy. Thin and taseless. Miller Genuine Draft, btw.

DS.

4. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Interesting story, but an excruciating read.

Paragraphs are your friend... [​IMG]

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Let me take this one Dave....since my little post is structured the same way. [​IMG]

So, Nathan....[​IMG]

The new line with no indentation must be as legitimate as your method of skipping a line.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

May I be cynical for a bit? I hope you don't mind, but with Mr. Henry Gale's latest barrage of gruesome, flighty strictures, I can't resist the urge to make a few cynical comments. First and foremost, Henry would have us believe that he can walk on water. Such flummery can be quickly dissipated merely by skimming a few random pages from any book on the subject. The scantiness of his abstract knowledge directs his sentiments more to the world of philistinism. Period, finis, and Q.E.D. In order to understand the motivation behind Henry's sentiments, it is important first to direct your attention in some detail to the vast and irreparable calamity brought upon us by Henry. In its annual report on prissy, predatory incidents, the government concluded that those of us who are too lazy or disinterested to criticize his ramblings publically for their formalistic categories, their spurious claims of neutrality, and their blindness to the abuse of private power have no right to complain when he and his hired goons hold annual private conferences in which peremptory, vindictive poseurs are invited to present their "research". Though many people agree that we must work together against demagogism, hedonism, pharisaism, etc., if you can go more than a minute without hearing Henry talk about isolationism, you're either deaf, dumb, or in a serious case of denial. There is absolutely nothing these huffy big-mouths will not do to destroy their enemies. They will poke into the most secret family affairs and not rest until their truffle-searching instinct digs up some merciless incident that is calculated to finish off their unfortunate victim. I cannot believe how many actual, physical, breathing, thinking people have fallen for his subterfuge. I'm totally stunned. Although Henry wants to instill distrust and thereby create a need for his fickle views, if we fail to identify, challenge, defy, disrupt, and, finally, destroy the institutions that create a world sunk in the most abject superstition, fanaticism, and ignorance, then we have no one to blame but ourselves. It is easy to see faults in others. But it takes perseverance to pursue virtue and knowledge. Statements like, "He believes, in his elitist delirium, that obstinate skinflints are all inherently good, sensitive, creative, and inoffensive" accurately express the feelings of most of us here. Henry needs to stop living in denial. He needs to wake up and realize that most people don't realize that he has already revealed his plans to brandish the word "intercommunicability" (as it is commonly spelled) to hoodwink people into believing that our elected officials should be available for purchase by special-interest groups. He revealed these plans in a manifesto bearing all of the hallmarks of having been written by a bunch of satanic wackos. Not only is his manifesto entirely lacking in logic, relentlessly subjective, and completely anecdotal, but in a tacit concession of defeat, Henry is now openly calling for the abridgment of various freedoms to accomplish coercively what his duplicitous publications have failed at. Our goal must now be to lend support to the thesis that I by no means claim to know everything about what I call venom-spouting freeloaders. If you believe that that's a worthwhile goal, then I can unmistakably use your help. Let me hear from you.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

[​IMG]

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

What?

9. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Ending a sentence with a period after the double quote, e.g. '"research".' does seem a little incorrect?

As does ending a sentence with "at"...

Hmmm....

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Although I have no criticism of Mr. Scott L's mottos, I have a few observations and comments to share. I would like to start by discussing Scott's epithets, mainly because they scare me. The thing I'm the most frightened about is that Scott has convinced a lot of people that those of us who oppose him would rather run than fight. One must pause in admiration at this triumph of media manipulation. If I understand his propositions correctly, then he is frightened that we might expose his malversation. That's why he's trying so hard to prevent whistleblowers from reporting that many people are incredulous when I tell them that he intends to suppress controversy and debate. "How could Scott be so demonic?", they ask me. "It doesn't seem possible." Well, it is doubtlessly possible, and now I'll explain exactly how Scott plans to do it. But first, you need to realize that if he can one day spoon-feed us his pabulum, then the long descent into night is sure to follow. Scott wants to waste everyone else's time. Who does he think he is? I mean, he is locked into his present course of destruction. He does not have the interest or the will to change his fundamentally caustic prank phone calls. His scare tactics sound so noble, but in fact, it's easy enough to hate him any day of the week on general principles. But now I'll tell you about some very specific things that he is up to, things that ought to make a real Scott-hater out of you. First off, if he thinks his invectives represent progress, Scott should rethink his definition of progress. My goal for this letter was to discuss, openly and candidly, a vision for a harmonious, multiracial society. Know that I have done my best while trying always to reinforce what is best in people. Let an honest history judge.

[​IMG]

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what were we talking about again? i'm going to write a complaint letter! [​IMG]

CJ

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Yeah...it makes all the difference, I even read her post. Of course. it helped that Leila kept it down to 21 lines, that's pretty much my limit. [​IMG]

15. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Ha! Better enjoy it while it lasts! [​IMG]

16. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Eschew Obfuscation

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Someone forgot the punchline.

--
    H

18. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

4+2, 42 is too many.....

19. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

So, Henry.... [​IMG]

While I had (and continue to have) no comment concerning the legitimacy of the new line with no indentation style, even though "usually" infers commonly-accepted practice and not a specific instance, I do wish to express that a story or other narrative of some length have paragraphs numbered in quantities greater than one. [​IMG]

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I hope no one in this thread is going to get behind the wheel, because you're ALL drunk!!!!!!!