What's new

Podcasts: What are you listening/watching? (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I have recently discovered podcasts and am really enjoying all of the wonderful shows I have found. My favorites so far have been:

NPR: Car Talk, Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me, Talk of the Nation and Fresh Air

I use to listen to NPR every sat/sun, but since working on the weekends now I miss all my favorite shows. It was great to discover them on itunes. Now I will never miss another show.

I also have started listening to:

Organically Speaking, Outside Online, All Movie Talk, Backpacking Light and Grist.

Do you have any other great podcasts to share with me? I am open to all kinds of shows.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I love This American Life, when they aren't trying to tackle war/political stuff.

I listen to the Lost official podcast, and Jay & Jack Lost podcast. The Onion Radio News is a must. I also like the qdnow.com podcasts, which are small but helpful podcasts on how to improve your grammar, finances, manners, and even legal situations.

For video podcasts, Goodnight Burbank is great, VODCars has amazing footage of fast cars, Sam Has 7 Friends is a great murder mystery series (80 episodes long!) and Best of Youtube has some weird shit.

CJ

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Left, Right, and Center - An NPR political talk show.
Science Friday - NPR's weekly science news program.
SciPod - Weekly science news roundup, from New Scientist magazine.

Some of the other podcasts mentioned would be fun, like Wait! Wait! and This American Life. But I can't keep up with these three, let alone add more to my rotation.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Just discovered Running From the Reaper. Great little podcast about an over 40 runner. He just chats about random things while running. It's a nice little show.

anyone else?

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
My top 5 audio:
(1) This Week in Tech
(2) This Week in Media
(3) Slice of Sci-fi
(4) NPR's Car Talk
(5) Speaking of Beer

Video:
(1) Ask a Ninja
(2) Tiki Bar TV
(3) DL.TV

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Here's what I play on my iPod nano:

ESPN:
Pardon the Interruption (audio)
Around the Horn (audio)
ESPN Soccernet Extra
The Herd with Colin Cowherd (ESPN Insider manual download)
Sportsbash (ESPN Insider manual download)

TWiT.tv:
This Week in Tech
MacBreak Weekly
Windows Weekly

Harry Potter Podcasts:
MuggleCast
PotterCast
SpinnersCast

And you wonder why I bought a cheap charger/speaker dock for my nano. :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
:emoji_thumbsup:

In addition to PTI, my podcasts include:
Baseball Today (ESPN)
Best of Mike & Mike (ESPN)
Big Show With Dan Patirck & Keith Olbermann (ESPN)
DVD Weekly Podcast
a couple poker podcasts
Tony Kornheiser Show
some podcasts from MLB.com

Video:
Best Night Ever (VH1, some highlights of the previous night's primetime TV, that way I can keep up with what's going on on reality shows like Survivor and Idol without actually having to watch them)
Oddly Enough (offbeat "news stories" from Reuters)

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
Damn right. Lala and mixed drinks...can't go wrong with that.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
So true. Even if you have no interest in mixing drinks, watching Tiki Bar TV is worth it for Lala alone. :)

CJ

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Hollywood Saloon is a very smart and informative podcast on Film. Very well done. Also I do a podcast called Nowhere in Mulberry, each week we talk about entertainment and our favorite tv shows, Heroes, Lost, 24, Veronica Mars, Bsg, etc.

We just did our season finale.

It's here! Finally, the Big season finale of Nowhere in Mulberry! 2 hours of fun! Join us this week as we tackle all of the big television season finales! What are you waiting for?

Our Season Finale - Rosie Quits - Morrissey - Flat Caps - Voicemail - Xenomorph - Bill's seen Pirates - Superbad - On the Lot - Heroes Finale - 24 Finale - Veronica Mars Finale - Lost Finale - The News - DVD's of the Week: Meatballs

Listen Now! Episode 81

Nowhere in Mulberry is a Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture iTunes

Enjoy the Show and thank you for listening!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
The Basketball Jones - entertaining nba news and info
Cranky Geeks
ESPN Daily Dish - good nba basketball info
ESPN PTI
New York Times Front Page
HDTV and Home Theater - how could you not subscribe to this?
ITunes New Music Tuesday- never comes out on time
MacBreak Weekly - very funny lots of rat holes!
Security Now - difficult to follow, but lots of good computer security info
This Week In Tech (T.W.I.T)
Wall Street Journal This Morning
Windows Weekly

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
So, any beer podcast recommendations? I really enjoy Speaking of Beer. Any other similar to this one?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I just subscribed to Nowhere in Mulberry.

I recently added:

Vegan Freak Radio

Zombie College ( funny little cartoon shorts about a young boy who gives up MIT to be with his girlfriend at a zombie college. Funny!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just bought an ITouch.
and have found the podcast store.

Right now I've downloaded the most recent Official Lost Podcast
The (Mel) Flight of the Conchords videocasts.

I've seen the above ones mentioned.

any others.

I'm thinking of subscribing to one of the Doctor Who ones.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I got the Archos 605 160 GB WiFi unit back in October and I've been sampling audio and video podcasts for the past two months. Frankly, I've been annoyed by how many podcasts have been shutting down in the past year or so because they couldn't weather the initial break in period to draw in listeners. There were a large number of shows that I selected to sample that I ended up getting their farewell episode. Other ones just don't seem to have a reliable publishing schedule. Still, I have much more content available than I actually have time to listen.

My other complaint is that there is a huge amount of repetition when listening to the tech shows. For example, I've heard 9 million opinions on the Amazon Kindle in the last month from every single one of the tech podcasts. It pushes me to want to cull the list down to only shows that offer unique or at least succinct takes on tech.

Here's my ranking of the shows that I listen/watch regularly

1. GeekBrief.TV - Cali Lewis is adorable, and it is a quick paced gadget review show without lots of filler or rambling.
2. G4TV's Around the Net, Gadget Pr0n, and Attack of the Show's Daily Video Podcast - It's just a re-release of their network content, but it gives me a chance to see that content without suffering through full episodes of AoTS.
3. Coverville - It's a really fun audio podcast exclusively playing cover songs with a particular theme. I get to hear artists that I would never sample otherwise, and it's really well done.
4. WebbAlert - I may trim may daily tech news down to just watching this since it's a pretty thorough take on the news and Morgan Webb is much better looking than John C. Dvorak or Leo LaPorte.
5. Diggnation - These guys seem to have lots of fun and it's pretty easy to let this video podcast run while I'm cooking or being similarly distracted because most of the time you really don't need to look at the two dudes sitting on a couch drinking beer and staring at their laptops.
6. Engadget HD - I don't always get to peruse the blog as much as I'd like to, so this is a decent summary of the HD happenings. Unfortunately, I need to be paying full attention or else I wake up in the middle of a discussion that forces me to rewind and relisten.
7. Web Drifter - Martin Sargent isn't the most watchable guy on the planet, but he fits in with his subjects. These people are disturbing.
8. Systm - This ends up being a much better hack show than the Make Magazine weekend projects podcast, just due to the depth that they go into - even if they do keep having to apologize for not being explicit enough about certain aspects of electronics safety.
9. dl.tv - These guys are dorks and the show is probably about 20 minutes too long, but I still find myself watching it right away when there is a new episode - so they must be doing something right.
10. Tekzilla - With this and Systm I'm probably getting more Patrick Norton than I really need, but it's well produced and has good content. Unfortunately, I ended up going back and watching the predecessor show InDigital and now I'm just mad that they killed that off and converted it to Tekzilla because Wil Wheaton was pretty awesome on that show. I'm still catching up, so maybe he shows up in the new show too.

This post is already so long that no one will read it anyway, but I am also regularly sampling the Buzz Out Loud from CNET, commandN, This Week in Science - The Kickass Science Podcast, this WEEK in TECH, Ctrl+Alt+Chicken, Denver Post's Lyrics Undercover, tech5, Savage Love Podcast, TeXtra, ESPN: The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons, Geek Entertainment TV, Mahalo Daily, MAKE Magazine, net@nite
, NPR: Science Friday, NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, Rounders - The Poker Show, Skepticality: The Official Podcast of Skeptic Magazine, Stage6: Geekscape, The Movie Blog: Uncut, VH1 Best Week Ever (Video),
Windows Weekly with Paul Thurrott, and Xbox Live's Major Nelson Radio podcasts.

Brad

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The last couple months, NBC News has been doing a video podcast of "Meet the Press."
I don't get up early enough on Sundays for the Tim Russert and Co. to be part of my morning routine, and MSNBC (which replays the morning's show at night) was recently dropped from my $8 cable line-up. Fortunately, one of the last ones I watched before we lost the channel advertised the podcast. It's great before-bed viewing for me on Sundays or Mondays now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks