Podcast question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LarryDavenport, Sep 21, 2005.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Does anyone know what the rules are about copyrighted music in Podcasts? I'd like to do a short music show that my friends would have access to but I don't want to get sued.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...good question. i think technically you're always supposed to get an artist's permission first? but podcasts are so all over the place, i seriously doubt a precedent has been set yet. maybe if you just add clips from the song ... as opposed to the entire song?

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Does anyone know what the rules are about copyrighted music in Podcasts?

Yeah, it's illegal without permission.

4. LarryDavenport

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Was that fact surprising? Using copyrighted material without permission is generally illegal... look at the people the music industry sued for downloading music for their own use, so imagine what they do to people distributing the music to others in a podcast.

There is royalty-free music you can get for this purpose, but it won't be any popular songs or artists you know.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

The reason someone might be surprised, is because copyrighted material is broadcast on radio 24/7 and podcasts are the latest version of radio, only a lot more democratic. One should be allowed to pay a small royalty to ASCAP & BMI and play whatever they want.

The RIAA & big media are of course fighting tooth and nail against any new technology/distribution channel that they don't control. It is amazingly ironic that they (illegally) pay radio stations to play their lame-o music, and then do anything they can to prevent podcasters from playing it...

So far as the blanket statement that using copyrighted material without permission is illegal -- if that were true they should have broken into the house of the Coverville guy with a battering ram by now -- do you believe that he asked permission from every artist whose music he plays?

Ted

7. LarryDavenport

I listen to internet radio stations every day (commercial free) and since their websites contain no outside advertising or solicit money, I was under the impression it was OK.

8. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    ASCAP does offer a relatively low-cost (currently $288/year)web license for this type of use. Depending on how your read it, it might limit you to song clips less than 60 seconds in length.