Pocket PC owners give me some links

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian E, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I just bought a Toshiba e310. Now I'm looking for some good stuff for it. Anyone got some good links for me to check out? What are your favorite sites? Any advice for someone moving to this from a Palm (IIIx)?

Thanks

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Thanks Andre. I was just visiting pocketthemes.com and was having fun picking out some wallpaper.

4. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Andre beat me to the punch, those are pretty much the main ppc sites.
    you might also want to check out pocketpc thoughts
    as for games, doug beck rules. you gotta check out rocket elite, it's awesome. he's coming out with a new one called motorcross stunt racer, watch for it.
    there are a few good golf games, like ziogolf2, igolf2, and tiger woods golf.
    and, there are a bunch of good emulators but you're pretty much s.o.l. with the e310 because it doesn't support multiple-button-presses very well (think of playing super mario brothers and not being able to go superfast and move at the same time). some of the emulators to look for are yamece (nes, gb & gbc) and pocketGG (sega master system & gamegear).
    oh, and you'll want jimmy's overclocking software to speed it up to 236MHz.
    you should be able to use google.com to find all of the above, send me a private message if you have any other questions.
    -gary

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check all these out when I get home tonight.

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Anyone know if there's a program to do conversion of .pdb files to .lit files? I've got some .pdb ebooks from my Palm that I'd like to convert.

I know you can get Palm Reader for PPC, but I figured I'd try and convert them and just use the one reader.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The Mobipocket reader is better than MS Reader, IMHO. Don't bother with conversions (not sure if you can, either, never tried), especially as .lit is a dead-end, you can't convert out from it once you get it to that format.
    But of course, if you want ClearType, you're stuck with Reader (even though it's also much less responsive, imho, than the Mobipocket reader).
    The page below might help you find a converter:
    http://www.slack.net/~hermit/ebook/d.../page-4-4.html

8. Kimmo Jaskari

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Thanks Kimmo

I was aware of the Baen Library, but hadn't heard about their Web Scription service.

As to why I wanted to use MS Reader. For one thing I've got 255 titles in that format already and as you said those can't be converted out. I wanted to have just one reader program, but looks like that probably won't happen.

I ended up installing Palm Reader for now in order to be able to use the 80-100 titles I have as PDB's.

I do have a few books in MobiPocket format from about 3 years ago, but not many. I may have to think about it though. IIRC the MobiPocket publishing software can convert PDB's.

10. Kimmo Jaskari

I think the Mobipocket reader can handle PDB's, as well as .txt and .html.

I also like that you can make the font small enough to suit me, the font used in Reader just is too big (due to cleartype, can't be made smaller I guess and still look good).

Cleartype doesn't impress me that much though and I prefer to read the slightly blockier but smaller characters instead, room for more text on the screen.