Pocket Holes in Speaker Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Elias, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I'm preparing to build the loudspeaker cabinets for a North Creek Borealis DIY kit. If I use my Kreg pocket hole jig I could significantly reduce the production/glue up time (and increase joint strength). However, the North Creek Cabinet Handbook, which describes a "Two Drill" Method that is essentially a pocket hole procedure, says to remove the screws after the glue has dried and to fill the countersinks with Plastic Wood. Why? I'm guessing that vibrations in the cabinet will loosen the screws over time and result in noise pollution from within; however, why couldn't glue in the screw with a flexible wood glue AND fill in the countersink with the solid wood plugs Kreg makes? This should eliminate any problems related to screws and vibration, yes?

Anyway, is there any reason I shouldn't incorporate pocket hole joinery in the cabinet construction?

Thanks.
    -Steve

2. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    I also have the Kreg jig and have used pocket holes for building speaker enclosures (subwoofer and other). In my experience, if your cuts are straight and your joints are properly glued, nothing short of a steamroller is going to loosen those screws. If there's any reason I can think of to remove the screws, it would be to avoid buying another $15 box of screws for my next project.
    I have read their plans for the borealis and it seems to be a pretty esoteric design. I'm sure many of their tweaks have some contribution to the sound, but as an engineer I have to wonder what difference a couple of screws could possibly make to the sound.

3. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Aaron. Your experience with pocket holes in speaker cabinets confirms my own experience with pocket holes in other applications. Unless George Short III provides compelling evidence to the contrary, I'll use the jig. Thanks for the help.
    Given my limited experience with speakers and cross-overs, every kit/design is seems esoteric to me [​IMG]
    -Steve