What's new

Pocket Doors (1 Viewer)

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to soundproff pocket doors or is this a really bad idea for a dedicated room?

chris_everett

Second Unit
really bad idea. I won't say it's impossible, but it would be very difficult/expensive. I've never seen it done. At a minimum you would end up with something like a sliding glass door, rather than a typical pocket door.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think you can get a pretty good result if you used two doors separated by an airspace sliding opposite directions.

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
How about putting in 2 french doors? I just want to open up the room to my bar area when I have football parties ect...

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
If you have space to swing 2 french doors, I think that is a better way to go. There are some nice exterior french doors available.

David

chris_everett

Second Unit
If it's not airtight, it's not soundproof. There's no way pocket doors are going to be soundproof. I suspect that you would have the same problem with french doors, along with most all interior doors. They don't seal the airspace around them.

In my old aparment I had a pocket door from my bedroom to the bathroom. Not only was it not soundproof (not a problem) It provided a "tunnel" for sound from below me to travel upstairs. That single wall took an apartment that was mostly soundproof, and destroyed any hope of sound isolation.

In my theater, I have a solid wood esterior door, with an exterior door threshold and frame, and it's _still_ the weak spot in my soundproofing.

If you are:
1. Willing to deal with _some_ sound transmission.
2. Willing to get exterior french doors.
3. Willing to do a good, tight install job.

Then I think you will be fine.

You might want to add some soundproofing to your bar area so that sound that escapes the theater won't leak from there to the rest of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks