PM - No alert when new messages arrive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Is there some way to enable an alert when new Private Messages arrive? I see that you can set it to send an email, but I'd rather have an alert pop up when I'm logged in. The old software had this, and I've seen it on other boards that use vBulletin.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bill:

When you have a new private message a notice comes up with a light bulb that tells you that you have a new message.

Parker

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Bill,

Your sig-picture tries to force a cookie on every reader of this thread.

I think it's the "homestead" site doing that. Please change your sig!

4. Parker Clack

Parker
    Bill:

Nevermind. I loaded your picture on our server and changed your signature so that it points to us instead of the other site.

Parker

5. Bill Catherall

Wow...I wasn't aware of that Cees. Thanks for the heads-up. Stupid Homestead!

Thanks for fixing the sig for me Parker.

Is the notice a popup window? I never saw one when you sent me that PM "Checking."

6. Bill Catherall

OK. I finally saw the new message notification when you go to the main page. I left for a little bit and when I came back there was a new message waiting for me from someone else. So I know about the light bulb and notice you're talking about up at the top. But if a new message arrives while you're browsing the forums, there is no alarm type indicator (something to really get your attention) that flags you to let you know. The only way to do this is to enable email notification, which isn't as "real time" as you can get with a popup window.

7. Bill Catherall

I see you've turned on the popup option. I've enabled popup notification. We'll have to see if it works. (I'm sure it will.)

8. Parker Clack

Parker
    Bill:

I am still playing around with this. The problem is that I can find javascript for an alert window and javascript for a popup box but not one that will do both. The only that comes with vBulletin is not working for some reason. It doesn't work on their site either for me.

So, what I need is a popup box, that acts like the alert message, that floats on top of the current browser window, the you can close the box from the box itself or click on a

button to take you to read your private message.

Parker