What's new

Plz Help: Panny TH-42Pwd5UY - 1 input at a time? (1 Viewer)

Vito_Jr

Grip
Hi,

Just received my TH-WD5UY, hooked it up to my Onkyo all in one receiver (rca jack to bnc) and had an S-video from the receiver to the Panny for dvd playback. The dvd would display, but when I tried to view cable signals I repeatedly got a "No Signal;" message on the Panny. When I clicked the "inputs" button I repeatedly got S-Video Full, Composite Video Full, but no "Video" Full.

When I disconnected the Svideo from the Panny the signal was received.

Does this make any sense that when the S-video is plugged in alomg with the rca to bnc the tv signal is not being recognized?

Equipment:

digital cable box
Onkyo all in one dvd/receiver
Panny TH-42PWD5UY

Thanks

Corey Holter

Agent
Yes, unfortunately when you plug-in the S-video cable, it becomes the only video input recognized (aside from component or PC) and the display now ignores the RCA input. It's a weakness of the Panny plasma.

However, if you need both, you can purchase an RCA to S-video converter (available at Radio Shack).

Michael_V

Second Unit
I am considering purchasing this very same display in the next week or two. Apart from the input issue, how are you enjoying the set?

Corey Holter

Agent
I've had my 42" Panny for about four months and absolutely love it. I got the 4UY, which is actually the lower resolution set. My understanding is the 5UY looks about the same from 6+ feet and even better than the 4UY close up (smaller pixels).
I did research for about 6 months prior to purchasing the unit, and feel I made the right choice. The Panasonic is known for its excellent blacks, and the PQ is fantastic. Plus it works well in our room asthetically (didn't want a huge box like RPTV), and the wife loves it!
Here's a picture of my setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...papass=&sort=1

Vito_Jr

Grip
Corey, nice set-up. I'm looking to do something similar. A couple of questions for you:

1. How high up is the top of the plasma on your wall? I was thnking of mounting mine at eye level from the couch, which would be around 50" I think. Yours looks to be higher than that. If it is, how do you like that viewing angle?

2. Do you have the wires running down the wall coming out of the bottom into your components?

3. If so do you have some kind of a patch panel there or are they running directly into the components?

4. Do you have a power protection unit in there somewhere?

5. And finally, did you have to buy longer cables to the plasma and what connections are you currently using?

Thanks, again very handsome set-up.

Vito_Jr

Grip
Michael_V,

I've only had the set for a few days but wow, I mean WOW.

I brought home Monster's Inc. and could not believe the colors and clarity. I have digi cable and the "digi" channels are nice and clear. Local channels suffer a bit but last night they were very clear - I have no complaints.

I bought this sight unseen (well, I did look at a 3UY at a local retailer) based on feedback from this forum as well as other forums and review sites and so far my family has been very impressed.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum -

Michael_V

Second Unit
Corey,

You have the display I plan to get and are using the same speakers I have. Cool. I have been thinking of how I would like to arrange my components and center channel. I like your set up.

Vito_Jr,

Glad you are so pleased with your set! Mine will also be purchased somewhat sight unseen, since I do get to see the PWD4UY at a local store (but I am buying the 5UY). My only concern so far is that 42 inches may seem a little small from my viewing distance. It is difficult for me to justify laying out nearly twice the cost to get another eight inches of diagonal real estate, though!

Corey Holter

Agent
Vito - thanks for the kind words - I'll do my best with your questions:

1. The top of the plasma is 56" from the floor, so about 6" higher than you are thinking about. I originally wanted it at perfect eye level, which would indeed be slightly lower. Since we were unsure where to place it on the wall, we cut out an exact size piece of cardboard, put tape on the back, and taped it to the wall, to get a rough idea of how it would look. We felt that going any lower started to look out of balance aesthetically. So, we compromised at the current height. It did feel a little funny for about a day or two, but now we are completely used to it.

2. Yes, I've got a hole in the wall behind the panel, and behind the sideboard that I use for the equipment.

3. They run directly into the receiver, which does all the switching for me.

4. I've got 2 monster cable surge protectors - I should perhaps have something better, but I don't think it would fit.

5. Yes, I've bought longer cables to go to the plasma and also to run in between components in my sideboard setup. I bought either 4 meters or 12 feet cables. They are a mix of monster cable, audio essentials, radio shack gold, and some others. I'm running DVD and OTA reciever via Component, and Tivo (cable) and VCR via composite (I know I should upgrade to S-video, but haven't gotten around to it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks