Plz Help: Onkyo HT-S650 vs. Denon 1802 w/ HTD Lvl 1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_Hong, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Steven_Hong

Steven_Hong Auditioning

I'm stuck in a purchase decision and was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice.

These are my two choices:

1. Onkyo HT-S650 (Home Theater in a Box), ~$450
    2. Denon 1802 & Home Theater Direct Level 1 Speakers, ~$500

One problem is, I do not know how the HTD Lvl 1 Speakers stack up against the Onkyo speakers? From the reviews I have read, people seem to be happy with the Onkyo HTIB.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steven! I bought the Onkyo HT-S650 about the middle of May, and have enjoyed it greatly. I have since upgraded the sub to an SVS 16-46PCi, but the original sub had good output for this price range. I have not heard the HTD package, so I really can't help you between the two. Just wanted to chime in and say the Onkyo is great!

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Stephen, I had the Kenwood 504 which is in the same leag as the Onkyo 650. " the 650 being slightly better probably". The 650 will sound great for the money. You will be impressed. The Denon is great to as I am sure you Know or have herd. HTD is a great co. to work with. You can count on them to do as they say. If it were my decision to make I would go with the Onkyo. I like there sub and speakers better. It would be nice to have the Denon mated up to them though with no pun directed at the Onkyo receiver. If you were to make your first upgrade to a better sub "your first being just fine", you would be well on your way-- IMO.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I really like option 1, but have no experience w/ HTD. As of yet I have seen nothing to say that Option 2 wouldn't be great as well.

5. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

I have not heard the HTD speakers, but the HTS650 is a steal for the money. It sounds much better than most HTiBs I have heard. One other option: If you really like the Onkyo speakers, Circuit City sells them seperately (5 speakers and the sub, I think) for like $299. However, at that price, you are basically getting the receiver for $199 when you buy the whole rig. That seems like quite a deal. My two cents!

6. Steven_Hong

Steven_Hong Auditioning

bounce

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Circuit City was actually selling the Onkyo Speakers and the Panasonic sahe70k for 350 for two weeks. That's a 150 dollars savings! Talk about bang for your buck! I was 1 for 20 in trying to convince potential buyers that it was a great buy. Either I'm a shyt salesman or people just don't listen.