What's new

PLZ Help HD-DVD Owners (1 Viewer)

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Gents Im not sure if this is right place to post, but please help.

Im currently looking to upgrade from CX985V DVD/CD changer, Im looking at either the 3100 es or the 9100es. I am really wanting the 9100 es out of the two, however Im debating that if I spend that kind of cash for the 9100es why not buy the toshiba XA1 hd-dvd to replace the changer. Which do you guys would consider to be a good move?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sherard, I don't know the other players, but the Toshibas are reputed to have some high-end audio components available in equipment that is typically twice the price (or more).

- Steve

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Sherard, Not knowing what type of components comprise your HT makes this a little difficult but I will ask a few questions, and raise a few points that may assist you in making a decision...

Does your current display, or planned upgrade if that is in the works, going to show off HD content to good effect ( size / resolution / connection capabilities? )

Does your current display have an HDMI connector? You will only be able to view upscaled Standard DVD via an HDMI connection, at least for CSS/Macrovision protected discs - which pretty much covers most studio output.

You can still view HD content, for the time being via component, and you can view standard DVD via component at 480; but if the studios implement ICT restrictions at some time in the future, you will not be able to view HD content via component connections for titles that implement this token, at HD resolutions. ( Personally I don't think this is going to happen for years, but it is always a possibility and one to be aware of. )

Will this be your primary player? Sounds like a yes, so will you be comfortable with startup times of 30 or so seconds and load times of 15 seconds? (Approximate)

Do you have a universal remote? I love the HD-A1 but the remote is one thing I don't love. One of the first things I recommend to anyone purchasing an HD-A1 is to program their learning remote, if they have one or acquire at least a rudimentary universal remote and replace the one packaged with the HD-A1.

It is a great player, whose primary quirks are slow startup time and a badly designed remote. I expect future firmware updates will unlock more potential on this player ( based on some comments I've read at AVS. )

Good luck with your decision.

- Walter.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
My current HT setup consists of

Panasonic 61 DLP PT-60DL54 to be exact and it does have HDMI connector
Sony 7100 es AVR
Marantz CC4300 Cdp (newwest upgrade from low end sony cdp)
outlaw M2200 x 2 (fronts)
Polk Rti 12, CSi 5 Center, FXi 3 surround, Bose 161 back surround
SVS pb12 plus 2 sub
xbox 360
Sony Hi-Fi VCR
current 400 disc dvd changer ( want to upgrade this component to 9100es or toshiba hd-dvd player)
monster 3500mkII power line conditioner

Not a bad setup in my opinion, let me know what u guys think

Jason Burns

Auditioning
Not to take away from the original thread, but Sherard, what do you think about your dispay? Are you happy with it? Looking into this display for my HT room.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Jason
I couldnt be happier with the display, the picture quality on it is very nice. I play the Xbox 360 on it and the games are outstanding. I also have a 61 inch Sony LCD in bedroom but the DLP seems to be a little nicer to me, just my opinion.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I kinda figured that buying it(9100es or 3100 es) would be a waste, the only reason I questioned it was because some of the playback issues I read about with the Toshibas. I think I can suck it up for the most part though and get onboard with HD DVD, I will be ordering my player this weekend.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
You won't be sorry. I have enjoyed every minute spent with my HD-A1. The remote is a non-issue for me. I already know which buttons I need. I don't even have to look.

scott>c

Second Unit
I`ll also vote for the HD-A1. Not one bit of buyers remorse and one of my better purchases!!!!

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I've gotten use to the boot time of my HD-A1 (I usually grab a drink while it boots up). Like Aaron, I've basically memorized the most used buttons on my remote (ex. eject, play, pause, skip, forward, rewind, etc.). Right now I'm watching The Chronicles of Riddick and all I can say is... HOLY CLARITY OF PICTURE AND SOUND BATMAN! The picture quality is just breathtakingly amazing (my HD-DVD choice to show off HD-DVD at its best along with Swordfish), CG shots look like the real deal to me most of the time! Also, the DTS 5.1 track is making my subwoofer sweat it's getting such a workout LOL.

Trust me, getting an HD-DVD player is the better choice than investing into a 9100es IMO. The HD-A1 is the best investment I made to my HT.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Hey Harminder... I picked up Chronicles of Riddick after work today but I watched U-571. Talk about a sub woofer workout...sheesh! I was leaping off my recliner. I just hope there are more releases on the way to keep up with my insatiable appetite. It's Riddick tomorrow... Will I ever leave the house at night again? Hey, if anyone is looking to pick up some mint condition and new DVDs from a highly reliable seller (me) check out the old school stuff I am selling under aaron85045 on Ebay.

My Collection

ryoji-ok

Auditioning
Real Name
ryoji okamoto
I bought HD-XA1 2 weeks ago. HD-DVDs are simply breath taking. I watched Serenity, Van Helsing, U571, Apollo 13, Unforgiven etc. They are stanning. No AB comparison seems to be required as long as these disks are concerned. On the other hand, SD DVD pictures converted to 1080i by HD-XA1 never exceeded
those by Pioneer DV-969 (both connected to Ruby bia HDMI), IMHO. It should be noted that HD-XA1 can play 4:3 disks through HDMI. That is, we can appreciate 1080i upconversion on 4:3 disks. I tried 4:3 movies (most of them are relatively old), such as She wore a yellow ribbon, Remington Steele, Outer limits, etc. They are good, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks