What's new

Plymouth, Michigan -- A Rich History (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In 2019, a local historian made a film documentary on my hometown -- Plymouth, Michigan. The film covers the entire history of the town, from it's beginning in 1825 up to now. It's a terrific look at life in a small, Midwestern town. One of the local residents who is interviewed several times in the film, World War II veteran Russell Ash, is my father's uncle. Plymouth was where the air rifle industry began, and was home to Daisy Air Rifle for many years (an uncle of my mother worked in the factory, and all of us have Daisy Air Rifles courtesy of him).

The film was shown at the local historic Penn Theater (discussed in the film) in late 2019 and early 2020. Unfortunately, my wife and I could not attend any showings then, as my father was very ill and eventually passed away during that time. However, the film is now available for view on Amazon Prime, free for anyone who has a subscription.

FYI, my wife and I have lived in Plymouth for the past 27 years, and I am the fourth generation of my family to live here. My father was born in Plymouth, and my mother moved here from western Pennsylvania as a child after World War II. I have numerous other family members who've lived here, and a few that owned businesses in the community. So, Plymouth has been a big part of my entire life.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the streaming section, so a moderator can feel free to move it if necessary. Hopefully some history buffs out there will enjoy the film.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I look forward to checking this out, Scott. I've driven through and visited the town quite a few times, but it has been quite a while.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I look forward to checking this out, Scott. I've driven through and visited the town quite a few times, but it has been quite a while.
David, if you've visited the town, you will probably enjoy seeing some of the old buildings downtown that are discussed in the film. It's really a well-done documentary.

Here are a couple photos I took of our uncle Russell Ash during the town's July 4th Parade in 2019. He was in the parade as one of the surviving WWII veterans. As I mentioned in the original post, Uncle Russ appears several times being interviewed in the film.

i-tG8JGXq-X3.jpg

i-czKhJbL-X3.jpg

I was hoping to see a photo of my late uncle Fred's old Sinclair gas station, as I know a photo of it exists in the Plymouth Historical Museum archives (my cousin's son had a copy made for my aunt). Unfortunately, that didn't appear in the film.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for sharing those pictures, Scott. I’ll be looking out for your Uncle Russ when I watch the documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyCookie