What's new

PLV-Z2 and the HS20 Side by Side (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I have been looking for a projector for a while now. I am building a new house and will have a theater in the basement. I plan on going with a 92-98" screen, full lighting control and no space or mounting restrictions. I was all but resigned to the fact I would have to spend over $6k to get what I wanted in DLP. That is until I saw the Sony HS20. I was amazed at how good it can look. Now before anyone flames me, I definitely can see the difference in the better DLPs but after spending a good bit of time with the Sony at my local dealer, I just cannot justify the difference in cost and I know that I can be very satisfied with the Sony. Now I have started reading about the Sanyo Z2 and I am wondering how it compares to the Sony. I do not have alocal dealer that I can look at it so I am asking for opinions here. Has anyone been able to see these units in a direct comparison? I do not want to take another step backwards but if they are very close I can save $1k and put it towards my screen. Thanks for your opinions.

Eric A

Second Unit
Heath,
Yes I read that and thats where my questions began. Overall I feel that the Sony is great but if I could get the Sanyo for less and its as good I will bite. As I said, I know the Sony is good and I own many Sony products (Sat HD-100, digital camera, video camera, the computer I am typing this on, etc.) but sometimes I feel you pay a premium the Sony nameplate. This is why I have questions about the Sanyo. I do not have a "Sony Ego".

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Caveat: I do not have either (yet), but I have done a ton of reading. The main advantages to the HS20 are that it has two digital (HDMI) inputs, slightly higher resolution, and MLA. Whether those things are worth an extra $1k is purely subjective.

Based on what I've read about both PJs, I don't think you would be disappointed at all by going with the cheaper solution here.

Also keep in mind that the Panasonic L500U should be shipping soon and it will be about the same price (if not a little cheaper) as the Z2.

RG

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
There is a shootout between the Panasonic PT-L500U and the Sanyo-Z2 up on Projector Central now too. It is worth checking out.

If I had the bucks I would probably end up with the Panasonic.

Parker

DarrenAbes

Auditioning
Read the user reviews on projectorcentral. There are many unflattering service horror stories attached to the Sony products. That alone would give me great pause.

I am a PJ newbie, but the more I research the more I realize that this technology is barely past infancy, and reliability is still hit and miss. If the failures and poor service happened in the Auto industry there would be an uproar.

Eric A

Second Unit
Parker,
Thanks for that read on the shootout. I have not been able to see the Sanyo as most do not carry it but I'll bet I can find a local dealer on the Panasonic. This will help me a great deal.

DanMarquardt

Agent
I have the sony hs20. damn nice projector. I went for it because of the extra lumens (on paper), HDMI input (and corresponding bit rate on the panel) and the MLA.

go through the AVS forums for some serious in depth stuff on every projector.

the sanyo has a nice lens shift and is a good deal cheaper, but less than a grand if you can find a cheap sony. I was scared off by the VB but no projector is perfect.

I'd figure out your throw ratio and decide that way. they are all so close you are certain of getting a nice image.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Either one of those newer LCD projectors, Sanyo Z2, Panny L500, or Sony HS20 would have made an appearance in my own HT were it not for the fact that I already have a FP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks