What's new

Pluto no longer a planet (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
E.T. in his space ship returning to visit Elliot (passes Pluto): "Damn, things have sure changed since 1982. No amount of Reese's Pieces is going to keep me from getting lost and landing on Vensus."

I hope all this doesn't make telescopes go up in price. I was going to buy one next year.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I heard a funny line on the radio this morning. The DJ was talking about this news story and said: "Pluto has been downgraded to a tropical storm."
:laugh:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
where is that from, originally?
I first heard (or recognized) a variant on the "he ain't heavy" theme from a Red Dwarf episode.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The statue, of one boy carrying another, outside "Boy's Town" in Nebraska, is titled "He ain't heavy, he's my brother".

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
And apparently, there's an obscure 1938 film by that title. Sigh. I suppose a modicum of cultural literacy (filtered through British eyes) is essential for proper enjoyment of Red Dwarf.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
The Hollies made a song based around that quote. That's probably where you know it from, not the 1938 film. Especially since that's how Radioman typesung it.

Brad

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's it. :) I remember that Red Dwarf reference too. When Kryten meets up with that other similar robot. I love that! But I didn't know about the line from that movie. Great fact to use sometime.

Great Hollies song btw.

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Steve, let me get this straight. You are married with three kids. You own a mini van. You own a riding lawn mower. You have owned three houses and have done major renovation on two of those. But somehow some news about Pluto suddenly makes you feel old? :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps we should invent a Death Star to blow up Pluto, then we won't have to worry about its classification...

although then we'd have to classify the pieces - are they commets, asteroids, etc.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
In a billion years, both the moon and the earth will be gone, replaced by a ringworld or something. No worries, mate.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, long before then, we realize colonization is the only long term solution to prevent species extinction ;)

As to Pluto.. my sons birthday was early August, and as a gift, he received a beautiful ceiling mounted mobile of the planets. Now, three weeks later, it's out of date :) I wonder how manufacturers of these things must feel. On one hand, they will sell a good deal of newly adjusted ones to schools, etc.

On the other hand, they have tons of inventory out there with 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks