Plus Piano. Can it do HDTV broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Looking at RP HDTV's, I have stumbled onto the Plus Piano. looks good for DVD movies and even has a DVDO iscan scaler for VHS, LD and NTSC cable?

Can it do HDTV broadcasts though? If not, is it cause of its resolution?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So you CANNOT use the projector with ANY of the broadcast HD signals? Meaning, there are no 480P or 540p signals in HDTV broadcasting? Its a shame the projector is close to 720p at 600, but no cigar.

The unit can convert 480i to 480p so couldn't it logically be possible to convert 1080i to 540p? That makes sense right? Or does that downconversion reduce the resolution too much?

4. Pete Gitta

Pete Gitta Auditioning

"No production consumer level digital projector can do full 1080i."

Maybe not "technically" without scaling or conversion, but I have a Mitsubishi X250 with 1080i compatibility and I have to tell you, people on HDNet look like they're on the other side of a piece of glass in my basement. Sometimes when people are looking straight at you into the camera, it's almost "unsettling"

It's XGA though. Never seen HDTV on a 800 X 600. Might be pushing it.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hmmm...well, the idea is I am deciding whether I will one day go with an HD RPTV or a projector. I will mainly watch movies with a dvd player, but I've still got ntsc cable, vhs and laserdiscs. I guess I'll keep looking around at the different technologies. Panasonic makes some ok LCD projectors from what I've heard. I guess I'd have to compare them directly to HDTV's like the Pioneer SD533HD and Sony KP51HW40 and KP57HW40 which I have on my short list.
    I like projectors because for now, I can watch NTSC cable TV and VHS videos with my 4:3 32" JVC and watch LD and DVD on the projector. Although with the projector putting out such good picture and the dvdo iscan doubler, I may watch everything on there if it looks good [​IMG]

6. Pete Gitta

Pete Gitta Auditioning

My opinion only, of course. But as I said, I own a Mitsubishi X250 XGA front projector and loved everything about it but the fact it's only HD compatibility is 1080i. So now my new Sanyo XW15 is in transit. 5 1/5 pounds, capable of 480i, 480p, 525i, 525p, 740p, 1035i (whatever that is) and 1080i.

I don't need a pickup truck to move it.

It can go anywhere in my house and to a friend's place for say, a superbowl party.

I don't need to sit directly in front of it to see the d**n picture, and I can make it any size I please.

All for $1925.00. Less than a decent RP monster.

7. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

The Piano will not do HD because it only accepts 480i input sources. However, if you have a HTPC capable of HD, you can connect it to the DVI port and get a scaled down picture (480P) which might look like DVD quality. I have not seen this, so I don't know what it would actually look like.

Another fine projector that competes with the Piano is the In-Focus ScreenPlay 110. It's resolution is identical to the Piano, but it will accept HD sources and scale them down to 800x600 (or 848x480). I've seen HD on this projector, and it looks very very good. And this projector uses the Sage/Faroudja de-interlacing chip. Worth considering...

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

OK. So you're telling me there are no "digital progressive dvd" inputs on the Plus Piano like the ones you use to connect a progressive dvd player to an HDTV? Thats kinda lame. I guess that is useless for progressive DVD then. I might as well just use an interlaced dvd player. Yes I know the dvdo iscan is good, but it still isn't as good as direct progressive dvd, at least I don't think it would be.
    Do all projectors NOT have progressive DVD player inputs? What about the Sanyo XW15 and the In-Focus ScreenPlay 110?
    Whats the cost of the In-Focus ScreenPlay 110 by the way?
    Yep, I have an HTPC but its in another room and I am aiming for a component setup. Currently I have a 4:3 32" NTSC JVC and a Panasonic CV51. Looks good really. I just want to make the leap to 43-59" HDTV 16:9 some day not in the not too distant future [​IMG]
    thanx for the useful info guys :]
    BTW Will the Panny 100AE factor in here anywhere in terms of a competitive option ?

9. yekai

yekai Extra

10. yekai

yekai Extra

It's a very interesing comparison between Plus DLP with SONY VW11HT

11. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator