What's new

plus 810 projector lamp life (1 Viewer)

David_M_S

Auditioning
Ok guys I need some advice. I have a plus U3-810sf that's a year old now. The bulbs are rated for 1000 hours lifetime. The first bulb lasted 260 hours, so I got it replaced under warranty. The second bulb lasted 90 hours, so they gave me a new projector and said there must be a problem with it. Now that bulb has gone after 300 hours. I'm now on my 4th bulb in a year. The projector is mounted to the ceiling, it never moves and has plenty of room around it for cooling. It's never abused. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? I'm ready to sell this one and move on.... Advice?

Thanks

David

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How often do you cycle the projector on and off? This has a significant impact on the bulb life.

Regards

David_M_S

Auditioning
Hi,

Well I would say it's turned on once a day, usually at night, and only for a couple of hours. I'm not in the habit of turning it on-off etc. I just turn it on when about to watch a movie, and turn it off after. I'm to the point where I'm going to sell it. I can't afford $1000US a year in bulbs. Any other suggestions? I notice you're in Calgary, I'm in Edmonton..

David

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Well, I know that most bulbs are rated for their respective lives almost based on continuous burn ...

My Panasonic bulb is rated for 5000 hr and I have about 2000 hr on it so far ... since the projector is often left on for periods of 4 to 6 hours at a time. I treat it like a normal TV ... and the the fewer on/off cycles the better the life expectancy.

Of course, I am a praying man. :D

I am based in Calgary, but I provide calibration services to both Cities. 50% of my local work is for Edmonton clients.

Regards

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My previous Sharpvision projector had 3 bulbs replaced in 2 months. Basically they exploded and the last time it happened, it took a circuit board with it. Lucky for me, i got it covered under warranty but I had to fight for it. Afterwards, I found out that the projector was being turned off the wrong way using the power off switch that totally kills all power including the cooling fan, not good. I taped down that switch quickly after that and had no problems since.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
Good point. Always let the projector go through its cool down period. In fact I have an uninterruptable power supply so that if the power fails (it has several times) the projector can be shut down in an orderly fashion.

David_M_S

Auditioning
Hi,

Yes I do power it down properly and the fans usually spins for an additional 2-3 minutes before shutting off. The dealer refuses to cover the bulb under warranty anymore. It's very frustrating.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael, I banned that individual. He was trying to
advertise his website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks