Plugs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Conor R, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Conor R

Conor R Extra

My Dad got me a DVD player in Oregon and I live in Ireland. Here we got the three pin plug while ye got the two pin. Any of you know if I can cut off that plug and wire it to a three pin even though I'll only have 2 wires, live and neutral. Can't find the proper adapter either. But the current on the DVD player varies between 110v and 230v and we got 220v so it's within whats acceptable. Any help guys??

2. Robt_Moore

Robt_Moore Stunt Coordinator

Conor:

Short answer: You can't use the player in Ireland. (I'm sure someone will come along and give the long answer.)

1. The current in the US is 110V 60hz, in Ireland it is 220V 50hz.

2. The video format in the US is NTSC, in Ireland it is PAL.

You would need an adaptor to step down the voltage and change the cycles to match what the DVD wants AND you would also need a converter for the video signal. I would guess that even if you could find such a product, it would be cheaper to return the American DVD player and buy a proper Irish DVD player, and alot less hassle.

3. Conor R

Conor R Extra

Actually it's got a variancy (spelling) of 100v to 240v and Ireland runs on 220v. I have it working and everything. I now have another problem though. It won't work cos of the Audio cables. The player runs fine through the video player. I'm using scart one side and Audio/Video cables the other. Can't run it through the TV for some reason. I need to know why I can't cos through the video Macrovision kicks in. Guys I really badly need help on this. Thanx.