Monitor:Video Cable, Power Plug
Portable HD:USB and Power
computer:USB Keyboard wireless, SoundCard/3, Power
Scanner:USB
Gamecube:Video/Power
NintendoDS: Power
5 Speaker wires
1 Speaker Wire remote

Is it possible to invent a reliable version for wireless power? We'd probably still have to plug in a USB port somewhere to get it to work, but at least it would eliminate the wires somewhat. Or is there a device like this being worked on?

I'd pay $50's at least for it :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the obvious dangers of wireless power, there's still nothing better and more reliable than hard wired.

Most of my hard wired devices don't need to be moved, so it's not that hard to hide the wires. And even still, I'll deal with a pile of wires over the problems of wireless.

I went to CopmUSA to look for a mouse for my laptop and 90% of their mice were wireless! :angry: Is it really that annoying to have a wire going from your computer to you mouse?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

That really depends on whether you consider batteries and potentially poor quality wireless reception or the mouse tail getting the way to be the greater problem. I used to think optical mice were a gimmick, until I got tired of cleaning the balls and rollers. Now, I use a corded optical mouse.

The measure of a input device should not be whether the quirks are annoying, but rather that it should have no quirks at all.

Sometime ago I participated in a slashdot discussion on a small, cute laptop. Unfortunately, the memory was limited to 512 MB. I pointed out that this was a rather small amount of memory. Others suggested that by using various techniques, one could reduce the need for more RAM. But, if one is shopping for a new machine, isn't that a sign that one is tired of managing memory, that one is tired of looking at system requirements, and that one wants freedom?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Back when NASA's engineers still entertained hubristic dreams, there were plans to construct large solar power satellites that would convert solar energy into microwaves, which would be beamed down to ground stations. The solar power satellites would, iirc be constructed at L4 and L5, where large space stations would be located. The raw materials would probably come from the asteroid belt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Very true. Considering that most technology has it's quirks, it's usually best to go with something that's more reliable, even if it means dealing with a cord.

p.s. A friend of mine just bought a wireless keyboard for her husband so he could use the computer while sitting on the couch. Oh man! It sucks that people are willing to go with inferior devices because they either want to be lazy or just 'cool'. - That's why the CompUSA thing bugged me. It seems like they are pushing the coolness factor over functionality. :frowning:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I switched to wireless keyboard and mouse because I have a keyboard/mouse tray on my computer desk. I got tired of a) getting the wire tangled in the tray roller and b) catching the wire with my foot causing the mouse or keyboard to go flying.

I've had my wireless keyboard and mouse for about 3-4 years now. Not sure I would call them inferior devices.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, technically, anything cordless (that uses batteries) is going to be inferior to something corded (or hard wired).

Just like my wireless network. No matter how great it works for my laptop, it's still inferior to a hard wired connection into the network.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I'll be moving in a few weeks, and unfortunately wiring the new home for Internet access just isn't practical. I dread at the issues of having to set up a reasonably secure and fast wireless LAN that covers all the areas I need it to cover.

To continue with the thought of wireless power into homes: Think about how wireless computer networks overlap one another and aren't confined to just your property. Imagine the consequences of a neighbour running a big-ass rear-projection screen or worse, a twenty-year old freezer with a noisy, barely functioning compressor desperately trying to keep the temperature during the summer months, consuming half the electricity in your hometown -- at your expense.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
But a hard-wired network is inferior because you are tied to a cable.

Come on. Every wired vs. wireless debate has its pros and cons. The only true cause of any inferiority in wireless is going to be signal interference. If that's not an issue then it comes down to a matter of speed vs. flexibility every single time, nothing more.

It's all about using the right tool for the job.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Except on the devices you want to plug into your solar power system. (Or is your microwave cordless? :))

And solar isn't very useful if you want to use devices at night.

Solar is a useful supplement for main power but it isn't much of a replacement for anything and it certainly doesn't assure "no plugs or wires"

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It is only "inferior" for your purposes if you place a high premium on mobility. Similarly a wireless system is only "inferior" for someone who places a high premium on data security and consistent signal strength. As noted above, all technologies (in fact, all of life) involves trade offs. It is rarely the case that a given technology, food, car, what-have-you is inferior or superior in all respects, under all circumstances and for all users - or even for the same user. There are days when I wish my car had more storage capacity but, for the most part, it was the best balance of price, perfomance, mileage and cargo capacity for my usual daily needs. :)

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Joe, sorry, I'm not trying to be a hard-ass :) - But (IMO) "inferior" has more to do with how well it performs and not how convenient it is.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Fun debate, isn't it? Like I said, and so did the other Joe (although really, I guess I am the other Joe since everyone knows Joe DeMartino better than they know me), it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I deal with this all the time with my clients. I have to teach them that there are pros and cons to all computer technology.

And that's why I use 100BASE-TX and 802.11g in my house.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
With G, you're exceeding both the upstream and downstream speed of commonly available broadband. You don't have to worry about wires or placement, or having enough ports. For most people, it falls under the "it just works" category, once you can get the damn thing configured correctly :) often a hit-or-miss affair. Cities are starting to do free wireless; within the next decade, it could definitely be the majority.

The main advantage of wired is speed, which is why I also have gigabit, useful when going from computer to computer. But that's pretty rare for everyday usage.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Like others, I have had problems with hitting my feet on the Keyboard and mouse wires, sending them flying. Since I got the wireless mouse and Keyboard from Dell, I couldnt have been happier.

I do have the wires in the back relativley orgaised now, but they do look ugly. Maby if I paint them white theyll blend into the wall :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks