Plugs on back of speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brenton, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Mike Brenton

Mike Brenton Extra

On the back of my Wharfedale 8.4's and 8.3's there is a plastic plug. Whats it for, can it be removed, does doing this change the sound of the speaker? Any comments or other info would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike B

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Mike

You can call Wharfedale America, the # is in your manuals. Ask for Jeff and he will tell you "for sure" what the plugs are for.
    Or if purchased in Canada there may be a different number for Wharf direct. I recommened calling Jeff at Wharf America, he is very on top of things dealing with Wharfedales speaker lines and also handels all (repair problems, usually free)...

Me guess is, (a number of Wharf speakers & different models have this plug) It's for fillng with sand. Usualy a seperate chamber at the bottom of the speaker.

But do call to be sure...

On the flip side:
    How do you like your 8.4's & 8.3's and what are you driving them with?

Regards
    Geoff

3. Edison Tinker

It was my impression that those plugs were to change the "tuning" of the Wharfdales...plugging the ports would result in a "tighter" low end and unplugging them would yeild a more "exaggerated" bass response.

Let us know what you find out.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Edison

I doubt that very much. It's simply a tuff black plastic plug aprox 1-1/2" across and when pulled there is just a 1" hole threw the MDF. At least this is the case in my Wharfedale Oak Emerald MKII-95's.

This chamber is "seperate" from the top 2/3rds of the speaker and located at the bottom and taking up only aprox 5" of the towers cabinet. I checked by putting a bent coat hanger, into an elbow, threw the hole to see if the chamber was seperate from the rest of the cabinet, (it is)...
    So pulling the little black plug out would make absolutly no differance in sound in my case anyways. I am pretty sure this is just for filling with sand or shot at least in my case with the 95's.

I can only speak to the Emerald MKII-95's and yours and Mikes could be different. My plug is in the rear. The Emerald 93 and 99's don't have this plug, only the 95's and possibly the 97's. I am not sure on the 97's, as I've never seen a pair in person.

If you pull your plug and check to see if it's ~{a seperate chamber}~ and it is, than pulling the plug will make absolutly no difference is sound. period....

Check it out and let us know if it is it's own seperate chamber, and what speaker model it is...
    I am curious and I am sure other Wharf owners are too....

Cheers
    Geoff

5. Mike Brenton

Mike Brenton Extra

Howdy Geoff,
    I think your right about the sand. My mistake thought the 8.4's don't have a plug just the 8.3's. Anyway I removed it and checked inside. Theres a board that separates the bottom from the speaker chamber. My guess is that the 8.3's are narrower and have one less speaker than the 8.4's which would make the a little more top heavy.
    They sound great especially for the price I'm very happy with them. I also got Wharfedale's for the center and rears and power them with a Denon 3802. Here's my web site let me know what you think.
    My Home Theater

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Very nice Mike.
    Some of the Wharf lines are just absoulte steals. I personal have never listened to the Diamond line but would expect them to perform well considering the many praising reviews I've read on them. The line has been around for ever and they continue to refine it. Said to be a very good speaker even at retail.
    All my Wharf Emeralds are in a Bedroom system and given what I paid for them, astounds me ever time we listen to them.
    The 99's where purchased threw Ubid but the rest including an Oak Center where purchased from someone that fell on very hard times just a week after buyng them. $745.29 into all 7 speakers.
    Mind blowing to think that it could be done for that and then sound far above what I would have or could have expected. Bought the first 5 from the guy blind simply because the revews were good and the price was "very very" right.
    Simply shocked at their sound. I've never heard the 97's but of the rest of the line I prefer the sound of the 95's for 2-channel over the much larger 99's.
    I think the larger midrange hurts them. They have a some what clouded sound in that area. Not terriable by any means but not as accurte as the 95's IMO.
    Im glad your pleased with the performance of the Diamonds and hope you stole them, so to speak, like I did my Emeralds. I would think the Denon's warmer sound would be a very good match for them also.
    Very nice rig bud, glad to here another Wharf owner lurks here at HTF.
    Don't know if you know it or not, but Wharf is looking to move away from Internet selling over the next year or so. Things are not set in stone yet for what model lines will continue, but new much higher end lines starting with the already available Evolution is in the works.
    They, Wharf are looking to go upscale in design, price, and dealer sales only. Apparently the Evo line is the best speaker they currently build and nothing in their other lines comes close to the quailty, build, and sound that this line produces. Of course including price... Im looking forward to demoing these when they finally show their face at a dealer some place in Lower West Michigan if possibly.
    So those that may be setting on the fence about buying Wharf speaker products via Ubid, Amazon, and other E-tailers might want to get to it, as they say. Less and less will be availalble as the months go on with Amazon being the last to sell Wharf products aprox a year+ or so from now. You may have already noticed the prices going up and down, but mostly up at Ubid on the higher end lines they do stock.
    Well enough said, again very nice set up Mike. I hope it will hold you for a while as the upgrade bug always seems to get everyone sooner or later...[​IMG]
    Cheers
    Geoff

7. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Mike- The hole is for ballast. Some people playground sand but I recommend going down to the gun shop a buying a couple of bags of lead birdshot. It packs tightly, weighs quite a bit more than sand, and is a lot of fun to play with while filling the speakers. I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5's that have 37lbs. of shot per speaker. They were leftover from a previous Silver theater set-up and I had planned to sell them. But after filling them and firing them up on the 2 channel gear, decided to to keep 'em around. The overall improvement was dramatic. I'm sure your Whardales will reward your efforts as well. TIP! Put a bead of silicon sealant around the inside of the plastic plug.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Mark:
    With the shot loaded, what did you notice in the "dramatic" differance in sound?

Im gona guess it was in the midrage, and most noteable in the mid-bass and bass. Would this be correct?

Less overall sound coloring in these areas?

Mike:
    Yes, I would agree with Mark, for shot as opposed to the sand also. As you fill, give the speaker a little tilt back and forth as you continue to fill. Helps the shot to settle in good and tight. Use a non cement based silcone to allow you back in unless you never plan to go their again.
    The shot will add "allot" of weight as Mark noted with his speaks. If you ever move, being able to empty them will make for a much lighter speaker to lug around.

Man dude, these things made of concrete!

Regards
    Geoff

9. Edison Tinker

A bit OT then, but which speakers am I thinking of?...I know that there is at least one model out there that has port "plugs" to help tune their bass response...

Sorry for the erroneous information I posted earlier...

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Edison
    This might be true, but I am not familar with what model or what line it might be in.
    Could be in one of the models in the new Evolution line. I have read nothing on them (EVO's) aside from the adds in my HI FI mags and there is no mention of tuning abilitys in their add.
    The Modas 1.6 is dual ported, (front and rear) you might be thinking of that, but don't belive they recommend port plugs for them.
    Hummm, you got me... [​IMG]
    Anyone familar with a Wharf speaker with Wharf recommended changable tuning and port plugs?
    Geoff

11. Edison Tinker

I'm not even sure if they're Wharf's...but I do remember a review In S&V in the past six months or so that featured the speakers I'm thinking of...

...time to dig out some back issues I guess.

12. Mark R O

Geoff- You are correct, sir! You anticipate some of the lower end changes, but what hooked us was the effect on overall mid-range delivery, vocal range in particular. The bass did not really extend so much as "accelerate". The tautness, speed and control improvement made the effort
    worthwhile. But we soon found ourselves using adjectives found in the writings of those excessively enlightened hi-zoot reviews. After admonishing one another, and vowing expulsion to anyone saying "palpable", the madness started.
    At first the little Silver 5's were run to the theater rig. But the first demo with Holly Cole's voice sent my buddy scurrying home for his new Cary pre amp. She sounded more dynamic with less effort, her voice and location in sharper focus at the same time expanding to room boundaries. Pretty chilling. Patricia Barber's acoustic "Let it Rain" had more expression in a subtle way, the small wooden stage was audible as well as patron's glassware, and audience interaction with her more important. The evening stretched through to mid morning. Two 14ga. wires had become a couple of hefty "toob" monoblocks, the new Cary, Lightspeed A/C, a couple of transports, weird colored cables and pushed back furniture. All over 50 bucks of BB's and a pair of modest British speakers. I've no doubt the Warfdales will respond similarly to a little attention. I hope all this will encourage some to look beyond mainstream, more "sizzle than steak" chain store products. The same investment can be worth so much more when you deal with companies that remember what this is all about...movies and music!

13. Edison Tinker

For anyone else that was wondering, I did finally find out which speakers have the plugs for tuning...they're the Monitor Audio Silver Series floorstanders...I often get my British speaker manufacturers mixed up [​IMG]...

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Mark:
    Thanks for your interesting evening of playing around. Sounds like it was lotsa fun... Oh, and you guys got to use some of them real cool audio words & phrases..[​IMG]
    Edison:
    Interesting, as thats the line Mark has speakers from, though maybe not the current line.
    Your not crazy after all, just momentarly confused....[​IMG]
    No harm done, but you did have me going for a miniute or two there... [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Geoff

15. Mark R O

Edison - Afraid the confusion continues. The Silver 5 use a plastic plug for the ballast hole, the 9's have a screw on plate.
    I recall ProAc using a port plug that looked like a bundle of cocktail straws. Also seeing the speaker that uses a foam "tuning" insert but alas, the 70's are catching up with me and forgot details.
    What do you guys think about this feature? Does it make good simple sense, or did someone make a bet that he could get people to stick packing material in their bass ports?

16. Edison Tinker

According to Home Theater Magazine, the Monitor Audio Silver S6 has the foam plugs for it's two ports...these were the speakers I was thinking of when I mentioned that...I'm not sure if that's a characteristic associated with their previous models or lines though...

As for the performance of the aforementioned tuning technique, I believe that in theory it's a sound idea (no pun intended)...I mean, IMHO, it's more desirable that introducing new electronic components to EQ the bass response and it's easier to tailor a speakers response to an individual's tastes...however, not having heard these speakers for myself and "play" with their tuning feature I can only base my opinions on pure conjecture...

...once again, sorry for the confusion :b

---Tinker