Pluging Ports on a SUB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ericLee, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I have a paradigm pdr12 subwoofer which has 2 very large ports about 4in in diamater in the back. Would pluging one of them with like a nerf football tune the sound a little deeper? could this damage the sub? the output DB would lessen but should it add some LF extension?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't know if the PDR series amps apply any boost or not down low. So that may or may not make a lower tune better.

You might loose a little above 40hz output, but a single 4" port is more than enough for the air a PDR12 can move. Twin 4" ports means the PDR12 has 25% more port cross sectional area than the PW2200 (single 5" port).

Right now the PDR12 is tuned to roughly 40hz. Plug a port and that will drop to roughly 35hz. Try it and see if you like it better. You won't damage the sub.

3. ericLee

I think I have an old nerf football with the whistle thing on it. so when you throw the ball it makes a whistle sound. I wonder if the sub would wistle when i put the ball in it. I'll try to find the ball tonight in my garage or I might go to toys ar Us and see there selection of foam balls. I'll update you if I could notice a diffrence.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Um, I wouldn't use the whistle ball. Might be fun for a few minutes though.

A solid foam ball would be much better. You could also roll up a towel or couple Tshirts.

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Whatever you do end up using, be careful. I lost a sock in one of my speakers doing the same thing before. It sucked it right in! [​IMG]

6. ericLee

I Couldn't find the foam football but I did stuff a rolled up towel in the port. I can't say I noticed much of a diffrence. I think I heard a little less "rattle" coming from the sub at very high volumns ( maybe distortion). Or I could be just hearing things. I did play around with positioning and that made the sub seem more intergrated in to the sound field. well it's like 2 feet away from the sweet spot so it should sound and feel better. Although I still wish I had a SVS i might just try putting a second subwoofer that I have from my old system to see if that helps. This extra sub has one port in front and is downfiring. Could I plug this one too? Or does a sub need at least one hole open?

7. ericLee

I just looked into using 2 subs in the forum and the consensus is don't do it unless the subs are very similar. i have a cerwin vega and a paradigm sub so they aren't relly =. I'll try it anyway to see what happens. Also has anyone used a stand for there Sub? does this actualy help? Could a new expensive sub cable help too? I already spent 50 bucks +tax on my monster sub cable so i can't imagine If i put more money into it would help.