What's new

Plugging sub into receiver (1 Viewer)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

A capacitor recently blew in my sub and when I got it back from the shop the technician said I should be plugging the sub into the receiver. That way when I shut off the power to the receiver I am also shutting off power to the sub.

Now when I bought my system a few years ago I swear I read here that this was not a good idea as that spike from on to off can cause more damage.

What's the verdict?

Thanks,

Mike

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
The 120V outlets on the rear of receivers come with "do not exceed" power rating, typically around 100watts. They're for tape decks, CDp, turntables and the like. Look for a plate as well as in the manual.

Sub amps will draw much more power, and aren't recommended for these switched/unswitched outlets. It puts a heat strain in the switch relay as well as the main receiver OEM power cord, which isnt too hefty to begin with.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Im willing to bet the same tec would tell you you should never plug your sub into that outlet when he is fixing your recever after doing so.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I'm no electrician, but I can't imagine that your receiver's switched outlets would be able to yield enough clean power to power your subwoofer without noticeable sag and loss of voltage and/or amperage. I'm not sure why your tech would recommend such a connection - I won't even plug my VCR into my receiver's switched outlets!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiousity is it ok to put a 2 channel equalizer on a 50W switched outlet on the back of my Harman Kardon AVR-225, it doesn't exactly say how many Watts it takes up because the tag where it says that is kinda scratched off due to old age but is it still ok or would you recommend putting it in to the 100W outlet on the reciever or just into it's own seperate outlet?

Thanks

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

An equalizer would probably be ok - there's no high draw motor or amplifier to worry about there, so I wouldn't see any problem with that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks