What's new

Plugging sub into AC outlet on receiver (1 Viewer)

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering what would happen if I plugged my 250 watt JBL PB12 into my HK 320 receiver. There are 2 outlets on the back of it and one is an "unswitched 100W max" and the other is a "switched 50W max" outlet. Would I kill my receiver, kill the sub, start a fire, bring on the end of the world if I plugged the sub into the receiver? I find it a royal pain to have to turn the sub on and off each time I listen to music or watch a movie.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Would you really want to risk it if there's even a chance of damaging something? Besides, that JBL subwoofer should have an auto-on feature that will turn on the subwoofer when it starts to receive a signal from the receiver and will automatically turn off after 15 - 30 minutes without a signal.

There are lots of guys here who leave their sub amps on all the time. They consume very little energy when idle and its a lot safer than overloading the outlet on your receiver.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
The outlets on your receiver/amp are meant for low power source components. They are incapable of delivering the current required by your sub's amp.
I have no idea what the consequences would be... likely a damaged receiver since something in there would fail when the sub tried to draw too much current.

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, I think the sub has to be plugged into the receiver to come on and off. My bro has the PB10 and the HK 120 and his is plugged in to the back of the receiver. It doesn't seem to cause him any problems, but the PB 10 is not as much of a power hog as the PB12 is. I guess I'm better off not taking the chance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For one thing, the receiver’s outlets are light-duty. Their maximum ratings should be taken seriously.

Another vulnerable component is the power switch/relay, since it has to carry all the current the receiver (including the switched outlets) demands.

If there is no remote switching capability on your sub, Kyle, look into getting a power director with switched outlets. Adcom and Panamax make some nice ones.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks