Plugging power amp into receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert_Z, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Is it safe to plug my Carver AV705x power amp into my Denon 3802? The Denon manual says not to plug in anything over 120 W, which I guess means watts. The Carver is 125 watts. I wonder if those 5 watts will make that much of a difference. Do any of you Denon AVR owners have a power amp of >120 watts plugged into your receiver? I get tired of having to reach down to fire up the Carver, so it would be nice to plug it into the receiver and turn it on by remote.

Thanks.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No, don't do it. Those plugs are for source components that consume very little power, not amplifiers.

DJ

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Bad idea. Don't do it.

4. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I wouldnt suggest it either. I never had any problems with any av receivers I purchased in the past until I plugged a laserdisc player into a Marantz receiver. After three months the receiver broke down. Im not sure if that was the cause of the problem but I never did it again and the last two receivers I had lasted me for a long time before I sold them. I wouldnt even consider plugging in a source component anymore so an amp is definitely out of the question.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Doesn't the Carver have a 12v trigger that you could make use of somehow? Just to err on the side of caution (I personally would never do it), I would not recommend plugging another amp into the receiver.

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

That power rating on the Carver is the per channel power output, not the power draw from the line. Look on the back of the Carver for the power draw. I'm betting it's several hundred watts.

-Dave

7. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Yep, it's 600 watts. Yikes. And I was already going to do it without asking for some feedback first. Thanks for your replies.

And John, I could not find any reference to a 12v trigger in the owners manual.

I guess I'll have to keep walking up to the amp to turn it on every day. Oh the agony. [​IMG]

The Carver is a fun amp, by the way. [​IMG]