Plugging DVD/VCR power cords into back of receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Feb 27, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Two things.

First...I read a post by someone claiming that it was much better to plug your receiver into its own wall socket, rather than a power strip along with the rest of your components, because then it would have a better/cleaner power source, or something like that.

That got me thinking maybe I shouldn't be plugging components into outlets on the back of my receiver, since they could conceivably be "draining" power from it.

But...it is very handy for me to be able to plug some things into the back of my receiver, because it is much easier to shut them all off by simply shutting off power to the receiver.

So...what do you think? Does it matter if I have things plugged into the back of the receiver or not?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

generally i don't do this. i have everything plugged into a power-strip. it's just personal preference in my case...not sure if it really matters.
    i just like the idea of having everyting on a decent surge-strip. a "near-miss" while goofing around with wiring in my younger days convinced me that power-strips are a handy thing to have around! [​IMG] i definitely know that it saved my gear from frying big-time!
    if you like the convenience of turning everything off & on with one switch, then a power-strip is an obvious choice.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

James,

Folks often plug a separate AMP, perhaps a high-current one, directly to the wall duplex outlet, sometimes after replacing the outlet with an Industrial Grade one for tighter prong connections.

An ordinary 5x100wpc AVR can go into a good surge protector/power strip. The AVR's switched outlets should not be used for any other amp or high-power device; they generally are rated for up to 100watts for two outlets.

I use mine for my rarely-used cassette deck, and my DVD player, rated at 14 watts. I keep my VCR plugged into the power strip to keep its clock running.

Not all surge/power strips have On-Off switches for daily use; especially if it's stuffed behind all the gear. I believe the larger Monster-type HTR and A-Series are designed for gear rack placement with exposed On-Off or IR switches.