PLUGE using VE? Could this be right?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Mar 26, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Could someone very familiar with VE explain the PLUGE/black level setting- the one with the 2 bars against a grey background?

I tried this yesterday, and if what I understood is correct, my brightness level was at an insane level of 60. If my eyes don't deceive me, when I watch a movie, a 'normal' brightness level seems to be about 30-35. 60 is WAY too bright.

Should this be done in total darkness, etc.? Any input appreciated. I know I must be misinterpreting what is supposed to be done. Thanks.

2. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

make sure you also set the contrast.

contrast and brightness effect (affect?) each other.

after setting contrast, go back and do brightness. You should continue this cycle until there are no changes.

good luck

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

You should set the controls in the same room lighting that you normally watch movies in. First you should make sure that you can see both black bars (to ensure your DVD player passes blacker-than-black) by raising the brightness level. Then back it off until the blacker-than-black bar (on the left) can no longer be seen. The other bar should still be just barely visible. That's about it really. If you skip to the next slide, the bar should still be just barely visible. If it's increased in brightness considerably, then your set has poor DC restoration and you'll have to decide if you want to lower it until it almost disappears again, or leave it be.

Also, the correct levels will differ with the input type. If you're setting the brightness with 480i component input, then the setting will not be correct for composite or s-video input.

Hook up your DVD player using all the different types of connections and record all the values for each of composite, s-video, 480i composite and if it's a progressive scan player, 480p.