What's new

Plug amp in wall socket or power conditioner/surge protector? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just got my Stratos amp (:D ) and was curious as to whether or not there was a difference between plugging it into the wall socket vs. a surge protector/power conditioner. Maybe I've been conditioned (no pun intended), but to me, plugging a piece of equipment directly into a wall socket is the audio/video equivalent of having unprotected sex.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Definitely a surge protector. Whether to go the extra mile for a power conditioner depends on the quality of your electricity and whether or not you can hear a difference. Some people can, some can't.

M.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Some manufacturers warns not to use their amps with surge protectors,because they might limit the amount of current,they pass to the amp,and cpmpromise it's performance.

Consult with the manufacturers of both product regarding this.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Ron,

I would recommend a PS Audio Ultimate high out put Outlet. They do work and do have surge protection that will not limit the amps.

They do quiet the juice and brings out the best in my amps(Aragons).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
What about one of those $1500 Monster power conditioners that just came out (the one with the 3 LED read outs)...will that do the trick? How much do the PS Audio outlets go for?

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Contact the manufacturer or read the manual closely and determine the power requirements. Don't use the run of the mill surge suppressors they will restrict current just when you need it (high volume or output). What ever you buy (if you buy) be sure that it will not restrict current. Current is the lifeblood of your amp.

You should do a lot of research and become a mini-expert because there are a lot of these devices on the market with all kinds of wild claims. The PS audio and Tice products are good bets in general.

rw

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my new Bryston 6B-ST and in bold letters in the manual it states, do not plug this amp into any power conditioner or surge protector. So I plugged it straight into the wall, sounds great!!

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Ron,
The Outlets are $299 or $399. www.psaudio.com
If you are talking about $1500 you should visit Link Removed They make fine balance devices that have surge protection that does not limit current flow. Secrets of Hometheater has a review Link Removed as well as www.avsform.com
I have a Monster 2000 HTS that I want to replace with a high end plain power strip plugged into one of my Outlets.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
That $1500.00 Monster thingy isn't a power conditioner, it's something that stabilizes voltage, and of very dubious benefit for most people. The top of the line monster power conditioner is the HTS5000 I think, and sells online for about $360.00, but I don't know if it will pass full current from a high current amp. I think it does though. You should double check on this. Don't trust Monster's help line, they are woefully ignorant.

Russ

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Joe Cole,

What outlets are $299/$399 that would help me...are there any specific model numbers you're talking about? It seems that everything on the PS Audio is really expensive. I mean, if at all possible, I want to be as cost-effective as possible.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
To take the greatest advantage of your amp(s) you need a dedicated 20 amp circuit-fuse/12 gauge electrical wire and premium industrial/hospital grade 20 amp outlet on the same leg in the fuse box as the rest of your HT equipment to keep ground loops to a minimum.

However, you still need a surge protector that will run at 20 amps and will not clamp power to your amp when it needs it most. That does not call for cheap equipment.

Tice, PS Audio, and a few others have these products. They're worth checking out. Now that I have two dedicated 20 amp lines for my HT. I'll be investigating the pros and cons of each 20 amp protector myself.

Dan

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Fellas,

Thanks for all of the help! I decided to give Klaus at Odyssey a call and ask him the same question. He (like many of the posters in this thread) suggested plugging the amp directly into the wall for the best performance. He added that I should hear a big difference in the sound when using the wall outlet vs. the surge protector. Man, was he ever right (not like I remotely doubted him for a second)! The amp sounds so much better now! The soundstage got significantly wider and I was able to hear much more depth. I appreciate everyone's assistance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks