What's new

Pls recomend some good entry level dts receivers (1 Viewer)

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Which are the good entry level and mid end dts receivers?

I have a sony HTIB receiver.It's doesn't sound so good.I changed the speakers to good ones but they still don't sound as good as i wanted.So sony isn't very good in receivers.Is it?

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Well, my kenwood vr7080 retails for about 330, maybe less. It has DTS, but to be honest with you dolby digital on this receiver sounds better. Low end sonys are crap, I had one for a while and got rid of it. I have heard that high end sony receivers sound pretty good, but Im kinda phobic of sony these days. I think if you upgrade to just about any non-HTIB receiver you will see a huge improvement. Do what I do, buy a receiver in your price range from somewhere like best buy, this way you get to take it home and see if you like it, see if it beats the hell out of your current setup, if not they let you return it, no questions asked.

Johnny

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Roger,
There is another thread going at this time that discusses the quality of Sony receivers. It is the general consensus that Sony's lower level receivers (DE line) are not very good. However, the "ES" line is quite revered by audio/HT enthusiasts. I have never owned one, but they appear to have following on this forum.

Al. Wise

Jimi C

Screenwriter
John, what kind of speakers did you get? What specifically is the problem with the sound?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Damn near everything has DTS now except the ultra low end crap receivers you wouldn't want to touch anyways.

Yamaha is inexpensive and feature packed...among others.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator

I have JBL speakers, three way for fronts.L&R are bit old models.

Well, the sound is quite thin esp in the higher and mid range.The tone control doesn't help either.Not exactly the quality i would expect.I don't think the problem is with the speakers.But i guess mine is a low end receiver eventhough it has dts.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator

Interesting! Recently i have been asking if receivers have a role in sound quality.The answer seems Yes!

Steve Adams

Second Unit
here are my picks for entry level units.

Kenwood vr 6070
Panasonic he-100
Pioneer Vsx-d812
Onkyo SR500

all these can be picked up cheap now..and they are all quality units that will give you no trouble....stay away from sony they are junk....If you see a H/K unit around for cheap, think twice because of the reliability issues....

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"Recently i have been asking if receivers have a role in sound quality"

dont seem to get this statement. if you were just thinking that the speakers were the only units that changed sound quality, think again. Ive read where a $70 power cord for a power amp will magically make your music sound better. ive read that silver plating copper speaker wires can make the soundstage ten times better. ive read how placing an inanimate metal object atop a speaker enclosure can help reduce high frequency distortion. ive read how floating your dvd player on air while your amps sit on stone blocks will make the bass increase 3 db's.

audio reproduction is magicall. nothing is ever what it seems. there are those who love the sound of a tube amp and claim that because of the high frequency roll-off, that the music sounds so so much better and realistic. then we have the 192khz SACD lovers who claim that the reproduction of (inaudible) high frequencies makes the music sounds so so much better and realistic.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Pansonics Digital amps are getting alot of rave reviews. They should be in the sub $400 range easily.

Other options:

Onkyo 502 which replaces the 500 or the 501.

You could also consider the lower end Yamahas.

If I had to go that route(I'd personally save up for something better and do without), I'd strongly consider the Panasonic digital receivers.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
my kenwood 7080 is thx, i think its the same as the 6070 but with thx and a silver face plate.

Johnny

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
If you have yet to look at them...check out the digital amps by Panasonic. I paid 240 delivered for the sa-xr50. I am running JBL speakers in a 7.1 config. Sounds incredible. In my opinion, it will sound better than the above mentioned receivers. Check it out!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If you only want DTS search for a good, used receiver. If you want DPL IIx you will be looking for a newer receiver. Depends upon your budget but look into the entry level receivers from Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz. Personally, I've ordered a Yamaha HTR-5760 for under $370 delivered. Time will tell how good or bad it may be. That being said, the Yamaha RX-V496 I bought a couple years ago has served me well and will continue to do so.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
John,
AFAIK, These all are receivers that are 6.1 but old like 2 generations ago. The newest Onkyo is the SR502.

Don't put too much stock into THX at this price point. None of the ones I listed have it and I don't consider the Kenwood better than any of these thus far because it has THX. My fathers' Kenwood lasted a whole year before it went out.

I would strongly consider the Onkyo SR502 or the XR70 from Panasonic. IF you are going to upgrade, you might as well get as many new features as you can afford and all of these should be below $400.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
John,
AFAIK, These all are receivers that are 6.1 but old like 2 generations ago. The newest Onkyo is the SR502.

Don't put too much stock into THX at this price point. None of the ones I listed have it and I don't consider the Kenwood better than any of these thus far because it has THX. My fathers' Kenwood lasted a whole year before it went out.

I would strongly consider the Onkyo SR502 or the XR70 from Panasonic. IF you are going to upgrade, you might as well get as many new features as you can afford and all of these should be below $400.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

A simple internet search will tell you that, although I'd strongly recommend that you do some in depth research of your own if you want to make a smart purchase.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

A simple internet search will tell you that, although I'd strongly recommend that you do some in depth research of your own if you want to make a smart purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks