Pls Identify this Kansas Song

Discussion in 'Music' started by StephenK, May 19, 2003.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for any info on the following song that I'm almost positive is by Kansas. It was released as a single I think in the early 80's.

The first line is something like:

"Well I had a dream that turned to dust, what I thought was love, must've been lust"

The chorus consists of the line "I'm winning" repeated a few times and a last line that I don't recall.

Also, I think this is from the first album after they replaced their lead singer (the one from Dust in the wind).

Any other old fogies like me around to help?

2. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

And the song title was I'm winning if memory serves me correctly.

Regards,

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

5. Mark Barnhill

Not entirely incorrect. Russ Ballard did write the song.

I copied this from a site about him.

He left ARGENT in 1974 to pursue a solo career and became very successful as a songwriter, penning hits such as: "Winning" for Santana, "The Border" and "You Can Do Magic" for America, "Since You Been Gone" for Rainbow, and "Come and Get Your Love" and "Free Me" for Roger Daltrey.

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Hmmm, I'd have to hear the actual song in order to tell if it was Russ Ballard or Santana. To me it just doesn't sound like a Santana song but I do know that there were a number of more "pop" sounding Santana songs back in the day. I keep hearing the song in my head and it sounds like Russ Ballard singing it to me.

7. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Damn, that's definitely the song, but I would've bet my mortgage that it was Kansas. Unfortunately CDDB has no combination of Kansas/Winning, so I must be wrong about that. I'll check out the Santana version.

If anyone remembers, this was on reasonably heavy rotation in the early days of MTV, about the same time that it was playing lots of Styx and Pat Benatar.

Song appears first on Zebop released in 1981 so that sounds about right.

Thanks all

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i totally know the song you're talkin' about but have no clue who the artist is either.

i'm pretty sure the one you're thinking of isn't the santana one. the guy sounded too white for that... [​IMG]

9. Mark Barnhill

being a Kansas fan, I can tell you for sure it was not Kansas. As for the Santana version, I'm not sure who the lead singer was for Santana at the time that was recorded. Could have been just about anyone. I'm 46, and was always heavily into music, and the Santana version is the only one I recall. Of course at this age the memory starts to fade! [​IMG]

10. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

this thread is funny....
    the song is "Winning" (great song) from "Zebop" in 81
    written by Russ Ballard
    performed by Santana with vocalist Alexander Ligertwood

and yes, it didn't sound like Santana...but then neither does Greg Rollie or Rob Thomas [​IMG]