Pls. help me dissuade a prospective Bose buyer!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RaulR, Sep 15, 2002.

1. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for bringing up the B word again, but my friend is hell-bent on getting a Lifestyle HTIB because of Bose's new ADAPTiQ calibration system. Here's the official page about it:
    http://www.bose.com/popup/tech_detai..._iq_page1.html
    Sound & Vision has a feature on it, but it's just a glorified press release (of course) with no description of how it actually works -- no specs, no graphs, nuthin'. Anyway, I can't find a link to it on their Web site.
    I'm trying to convince my buddy that proper room EQ is a very tricky, painstaking process and nowhere near as simple as Bose pretends it is, but I'm not getting through to him. One thing I tried is to show him an article in his own issue of S&V about Infinity's RABOS and point out how detailed and complicated the process is, but this didn't work; he said, in effect: "Well, Bose obviously does it better than Infinity does." Needless to say, he doesn't even believe that Bose stuff sounds inferior to other speakers with a comparable price.
    What can I tell him to convince him to put his money into better stuff? He seems to think this calibration thing is the cat's meow, so I think that's where I'll try to attack. If any of you can make an educated guess as to why something as simple as ADAPTiQ couldn't possibly work properly from a technical standpoint, I'd be most grateful. I'd appreciate any ammo you can provide.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Take your friend into a store and play a Bose system for him then play something (actually anything) else. If he thinks the Bose sounds better then it's his money, let him buy what he wants. If you want a more technical answer simply search the forum for "Bose Sucks" and you'll get a hundred or so threads detailing why.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

RaulR:

You wrote...

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Raul, experience is the best teacher. Eventually your friend will most likely come to realize that with Bose you don't get what you pay for, but let them find that out on their own. It's an expensive lesson but if your opinion isn't solicited, don't give it.
    I just had a co-worker tell me he bought a Bose Lifestyle system for $2500 and I nearly had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing in his face. But all I said was: Good luck with that!
    For me, Bose does indeed suck. But if your friend or my co-worker are happy with their stuff (for now), who are we to burst their bubble?

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

if he wants a basic calibration system so badly just tell him to get a H/K receiver with that EZset thing.

6. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

why is it so important to you? Let him get what he wants. THe one thing I've learnt is that bose equipment is usable and satisfactory for most people who are not serious audio enthusiasts. Your friend will almost certainly be very happy with his purchase. that you won't be is irrelevant.

You should mind your own business and let him get what he wants. Advice should be offered when its asked for or atleast welcomed. In any case, it should be forced down an unreceptive person's throat when they are about to make a mistake you know is going to cost them very dearly. I suspect that your friend is not going to regret the Bose purchase as all. So let him be.

7. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

It's important to me because

(1) He listened to me initially to the extent that he took my advice about getting a home theater setup in the first place.

(2) We spend a lot of time in each other's places, and I won't be able to stand listening to his setup if he gets what he wants.

8. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

no offence, but they don't sound such good reasons to me. I spent a lot of energy trying to get people to buy the A/V systems that I knew were what they should have for their money. I used to get all wired up when they would go doing things that were contrary to my best advice and obviously all wrong.

eventually, I saw the light. I offer my advice. If it doesn't get taken, there really is no personal loss to me. So be it. I shrug and move on. I find that these people almost NEVER regret not taking my advice. THings work out OK for THEM, even though they didn't listen to me. which is whats really thats needed anyway.

9. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

The best thing to do is to try to educate him. If he doesn't want to listen, there's nothing you can do about it. Send him a link to the BOSE FAQ http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html and tell him that BOSE has not changed their business model since that was written a few years ago. If he doesn't want to listen, it's his money and his mistake.
    Some people have to learn some lessons the hard way.
    I recently had a friend call me to tell me that they just got a great deal on some "Acoustic Image" speakers from someome in a white van.[​IMG]

10. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

Bert Laney needs to get a life.

11. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Send him this link so he can see how bad the frequency response of the cube speakers actually is. It was all that I needed to sell mine and get some real speakers. Yes, I was a Bose victim when I was young and stupid.

12. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

yes listening to other brands is never a bad idea...however it may well be that your friend has as one of his preferences, something quite small and unobtrusive. if that's the case, then auditions should feature similarly small speakers.

14. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Tell this person to ask a salesperson for frequency response specs. They will either 1) not be able to provide them or 2)give some marketing garbage spiel.

Teaching someone who thinks BOSE sounds good that it actually doesn't, is not as easy as it may seem. These people do not know what to listen for, IMO. It's obvious to some, but not to all. This is entirely why BOSE is still in business today.

16. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'll make it simple for you. Tell him this.
    "No highs, no lows! Must be Bose."
    [​IMG]

17. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Try this math:
    Frequency response: 46-202, 250-13.3k

That is only 66% of the normal 20-20k frequency range. You are missing 34% of sounds completly. I don't thing he would settle for 66% of a car just because it was a Cadillac.

18. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Raul, I bet almost anything that the reason your friend likes bose is because of the ease of setup the pleasing aesthetics. As for ease of setup, describe to him some of the new HK and Pioneer receivers which have their own automatic room calibration systems, and which work pretty well. And as for aesthetics, try to show him some stuff by Anthony Gallo Acoustics, like the nucleus and the micro. These small setups dont only look great, they sound pretty damn impressive too considering their size. If he still wants to buy Bose, then let him buy from a store that has a 30 day return policy, then compare the Bose system with a system of Denon and Klipsch/Polk/Infinity that costs 1/2 as much. If your friend still wants to keep the Bose, then let him burn in the seventh circle of hell known as the Bose zone [​IMG]
    JMHO, though

19. Terrell

Terrell Producer

20. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I've got a pair of old bose bookshelfs. They work fine for me....meaning: they never get used [​IMG] I've got a pair of paradigms in the other room [​IMG] I go all the way with you guys on how overpriced bose is. I would like to say that there IS worse stuff out there, but its really cheap. What makes Bose so ridiculously absurd is how high their prices are. I actually find myself recommending KHL, because at least people can get their "bose" worthless performance, but its extra-cheap [​IMG]