Plexi-Flexy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Anyone know where I can get some prices for plexi-glass? I was looking into a flexy rack with plexi-glass shelves.

I understand I would probably want something thick (1/2" or 3/4") but I can't even guess what the cost would be.

Anyone deal w/plexi-glass? Is this a bad idea?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,

Talk to someone at a custom car audio shop. They use plexi all the time!

Brian

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You can always double stack the plexi for a thicker layer.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Last time I bought it, it was $77 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4". Look in the book under plastics.

Pete

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Tap Plastics. More plastic than you will ever need.

There are two primary different types of common clear plastic - Polycarbonate (trade name Lexan) and Acrylic. Common acrylic is what is used when one wants the final product to look good, because acrylic can be polished (usually flame polished) when completed and is very clear. When you see subs with the really clear polished edges, that is acrylic.

Imperfections and blemishes (meaning it will scratch) are very difficult or impossible to remove from most polycarbonate.

Acrylic is fairly durable, but brittle and is more likely to crack when drilling holes in it or cutting thinner sheet. Polycarbonate is much tougher, and easier to work, and probably a little less expensive, but doesn't look as nice.

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Big thick pieces of Plexiglas can be costly. Like Pete said, look in the phone book under plastics. I would visit a plastic specially shop and get prices. They can give you advice on tools and finishing procedures. Go in the shelf dimensions that you require so they can give you a price quote. Plexiglas is not too hard to work with if you are careful. The edges can be sanded with progressively finer grits of sandpaper and then buffed with a wheel for a smooth, clear edge. The plastic shop can even make up the finished shelves for you but you will be money ahead if you DIY.

7. Stan Chaya

Stan Chaya Auditioning

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Yipes! I can see how plexi adds up the thicker you get. Thanks to all for the input. I was just kicking around the idea... have to finish my actual HT first. [​IMG]

9. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Check with a local glass shop, too. Prices for glass shelves aren't too bad, and you could probably get away with a thinner shelf thickness.

Pete