What's new

Please Vote (1 Viewer)

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
You have three choices: Samsung 46" 4661F LCD (1080p), Sony 46" 46V2500 LCD (1080p) or Panasonic 50" 50PX77U Plasma (720p). Either one can be purchased for around $1700.

Your HT is in the basement and your viewing distance is 10 feet. You have a critical eye and a maximum budget of $1900. Thanks. R

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi Robb. Honestly,this is something I think you need to decide for yourself. You'll get endless recommendations from lots of people here but in my opinion, I think you should go out and look at them side by side if you can. Its your eyes,that should make the decision. When I was in your shoes I was sold on a Samsung 50" plasma. I researched it do death. However, when I went out to audition them, I ended up with a Panasonic 50" instead. For me, the picture on the Panasonic was sharper. The Samsung image had a "soft" look to it compared to the Panasonic. Any of those sets will probably look fine in the room you have since you don't have any excessive ambient light. So, like I said, go out and take a look and let your eyes make the choice. Which ever one you choose, if it looks best to you, thats all that matters.

Assuming that I've seen all the displays I wanted to, and it is down to the same, or a similar choice, I would opt for the larger screen, even though it is 720p, because of my viewing distance.

You haven't mentioned how you'll be using the display (i.e. SDTV, HDTV, gaming, DVD, BR/HD DVD), but even with a critical eye, you probably won't see the benefit of 1080p at that viewing distance on a 46" display.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Gary is wrong: Panasonic 50" 50PX77U Plasma (720p) is the way to go.

(Just messing with you Gary.) But seriously, the Samsung 61 series is second best in my opinion, with the Sony 2500 series just behind that. If you can afford it, I would go with the Samsung 65 series, if you have light control because it has a better panel and game mode.

But for your money, the best performance is the Panasonic TH50PX77U.

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for chiming in. I am one that likes to read other opinons as part of my preliminary research and then go see for myself. Thanks again. R

Dave>h

Second Unit
Panasonic... assume it is also 1080i compatible at 10 ft you won't notice a difference to 1080p

Always go bigger, plus the new anti glare glass on the Panasonic makes it closer to the LCD screen - i.e. much less glare.

You will never regret getting the bigger screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks