What's new

Please tell my the Hulk is not CGI (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Spoiler:

Instead of being zapped with Gamma Rays, the movie Hulk's papa is and Banner is born with the ability to "Hulk out". Or something like that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im also looking foward to Daredevil ALOT more than The Hulk.
I have a bad, bad feeling about The Hulk.
Daredevil is a great character when done correctly and the director is supposedly a diehard fan - so I have high hopes for that one.
BTW, that toy looks pretty great but seeing the character interact on film is something different. I thought I read somewhere they did use a bodybuilder as a model for the CGI - Lee Priest I think.
There are other freakishly large guys out there - I remember wondering why Priest when I read that.
http://www.leepriest.net/

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
The teaser isn't out yet, much less a trailer. Let's give them a chance to let us look at it before we start piling on. I for one feel they could definitely do a good job with a CG hulk, especially if they take advantage of CG to sculpt him extremely tall and broad (which he is relative to "normal" beefy humans). Major trick for me would be to not move the CG actor too fast to look real.

Just wait first is all. I've not been happy with the T3 production, but I've constrained my complaints to specific observations from the teaser and trailer. Same thing here I'd say/ask.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I chose a poor selection of words to assemble that thought with.

The teaser came out a bit ago, I think, and doesn't offer any sort of look at the movie, or of the Hulk. What I meant to say, we have no substantive looks at the project yet. Wait for the first look at footage, then pile on. I waited for T3 to show footage, then declared it looked weak (as I still feel this way). Etc...

Superbowl Sunday is supposed to debut a trailer with footage, I believe. About the only time I ever look forward to commericals more than the product is Superbowl.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Personally, I'm very grateful that they went with a CGI Hulk, for the simple reason that the Hulk isn't human-sized, nor is he supposed to be.

Lou Ferrigno didn't do a bad job, but you certainly don't feel much awe or intimidation from watching those old TV episodes. He looks like what he is - a guy painted green flexing his muscles.

The Hulk needs to be completely gigantic, both in height and width, as well as extremely intimidating, powerful, fast and deadly and I don't see any way to do that credibly except with CGI.

If they do it right, this could be a great action flick.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Kimmo. I was a big Hulk collector in the 80's and if the CGI looks like the toy then I will be very pleased (well, if it looks that way and the movement/interaction is smooth like other top notch CGI characters).

The TV show was goofy in regards to the super-hero aspect. It made up for it with storylines that kept it down to earth and Bixby's acting. The show wasn't a hit because of Lou painted green, that device only worked enough to let the show move along.

But the comic Hulk is much more about the sheer brute power, the walking natural disaster that the Hulk is. I don't want the Hulk to throw guys across rooms and lift up the back-end of a car to keep the bad guys from getting away. I want "Hulk Smash!" I want cars flying blocks away and 100 foot leaps into the air.

That's not to say that I don't want a storyline, just that superhero Hulk does allow for great plots, but by utilizing a different set of dynamics than the TV show relied upon.

I like Bana, I think Ang Lee is outstanding. I sure hope the trailer backs up that promise some more.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
100 foot leaps into the air
I think the comic book Hulk could do more like half mile leaps in the air, Seth. :)
But I completely agree with you. CGI Hulk is THE way to go. The "show a green painted bodybuilder in slomo" approach of the TV Show was nowhere near what the comic book character was. CGI frees one from physical limitations and truly allows for the car hurling behemoth to manifest himself (no real human being can POSSIBLY be like the Hulk of the comic books. He has fists the size of basketballs!). It's similar to the Spiderman debate of a year ago. Without CGI, Spidie simply couldn't have moved liked the comic book character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks