Please tell me which DVD player I should get at Costco! i cant decide

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
Im probably going to optical cable for sound and component cable for video. Im probably not going to use their HDMI.

David Norman

Premium
Overall, they may look similar, but the devil is likely in the details. My experience with Toshiba DVD's has been pretty poor at least since the earliest models. Read the customer reviews on Amazon and you'll see other folks with my experience. Given that, the Toshiba are more disposable commodities and Costco's return policy gives you a big advantage. When they work, Tosh's generally are pretty good, have always been pretty easy to make Region Free and I think are still able to do Pal-Ntsc conversion with a remote code neither of which is easy of even possible with most Sony's.

Sony DVD players I've alwyays been fond of -- good construction, good performance. To tell the truth, my main theater DVD is still the original DVD7000 which I bought in 1997 is still going strong. The 75 has had a pretty good reputation. Check out Amazon, epinions, CC's customer reviews and for the most part they are quite good. AFAIK, They have never done PAL/NTSC without some serious work and I don't think can even do multi region at least since the early 7000's with the internal switches.

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
The sony looks much better and looks like it has more features... but the toshiba is much cheaper. Hmm this will be a tough decesion. The sony is also twice as expensive, but will it be twice as better performing? that is the question.

David Norman

Premium
If the Toshiba is working I doubt the Sonu will be twice as good. The Sony may very well last 2-3-4X longer, but that's where Costco's return policy becomes useful -- buy both, try them in home for a month, return the one you don't like. Or buy the Toshiba, save the $60+ and if/when it goes south, Costco will probably exchange the unit if you don't think you've gotten your money's worth. Costco's return policy is very liberal to say the least with some people even saying it's essentially a lifetime warranty though I wouldn't want to test it on a $70 item.

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
Which one do you think will perform better with watching VCD's and burned dvds?

David Norman

Premium
You got me there. I have little experience with either on DVD players (just PC's) and virtually none with VCD's.

My little experience tell me these things are as dependent on which machine the discs are burned on as played back. If there are some setup in the store, take some discs with you and play them. I had one disc that virtually no machine would even load though the one's that did were generally the cheaper models. The more expensive the unit, the less chance I had of getting any results.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have family members and friends who have had new and older Toshiba players, and they often had problems. My friend's Toshiba had lots of trouble with burnt DVD's and would skip a lot. They also didn't perform well with CD's. I have a Toshiba SD-9000 player (Flagship) and still works fine, no quirks. Keep in mind the player cost $1000 new.

I would say in your current situation with the selection you have, go with the Sony.

xAbre1200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin
I have a few burnt dvd's and the reason im buying a new dvd player is because my old one would not stop skipping when playing burned dvd's. I even used one of those dvd lens cleaning cd's. still no 'real' help.
I guess the SONY looks preaty good now.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo