Please tell me that FOX hasn't flopped on this one.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I have seen a couple episodes of Buffy, but never was really able to get into watching it religiously (since I abhor VHS as a recording format and never had time to watch it due to my work schedule). So, I was looking forward to seeing the DVD box set of the first season. That is, until I saw the Digital Bits review of it. Is it really that bad? Did FOX let us down on this one?! I hope not -- they're always very good at releasing TV box sets. [​IMG]
    Here's the link to the review for those that haven't seen it:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/doogan...1.html#buffys1
    I'm hoping that those that have gotten screener copies can at least say that it's not that bad or is at least above average.

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The first two seasons were shot 16mm. So expect the first two seasons to look very grainy and dark. On the extras side, watch the upcoming seasons to include more extras (like more commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, etc).

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    No screener copy to review on this one. I

don't always receive Fox screener product.

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

The R2 release didn't look too clever, either, but as Matthew said, it was shot 16mm. At least you won't get the PAL speedup in the R1 version.
    Also, the R1 Buffy season 1 DVDs were due to be released over a year back, but got pulled at the last moment. Very likely the discs were mastered some time ago, so I wouldn't expect the quality Fox has been showing with recent releases.

5. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I've got the R4. Seasons 1+2 don't look to great due to the fact that they were shot on 16mm. With season 3 it gets quite a bit better.

Although I agree it could have been better it's not abysmal imo. If you like the show I think you will enjoy those discs.