please tell me my wega is ok...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Figat, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Chris Figat

Chris Figat Auditioning

hey folks. i have a 32" wega, don't have the exact model number handy but it's a non-XBR model from two years ago. we had an electrical storm here yesterday and i didn't think much of it as the tv is on a monster surge protector. however, last night when i tried to turn it on i don't get any picture at all. there's an occasional slight white flash at the lower left but no picture or any display info. the stand-by light is blinking consistently, no pattern just off and on.

any help/ideas/thoughts? i'm at a complete loss here and i'm hoping this is something fairly simply as opposed to a major repair that needs to happen. thanks.

chris

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sorry, Chris, that your first post at Home Theater Forum tells us about this problem. It does sound, I'm afraid, as if the power supply got zapped. The problem, however, could be something else altogether and easily fixed. But from what you describe, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Anybody else?

3. Chris Williams

Chris Williams Auditioning

If you have home owner's insurance you may be covered. Also, many surge protectors have a $25,000+ warranty (if you registered it) in case a spike does get through.

Either way, good luck man. Hate to hear that happen to anybody.

4. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

5. Chris Figat

Chris Figat Auditioning

thanks guys, tho not necessarily the answers i wanted to hear. i do have renters insurance, tho i'm not sure what my dedeuctible is so i'm not sure if it would be worth it or not. anyone know what replacing a power supply or similar repair might run, ballpark?

Bob, i did unplug it for an hour or two but i'll give it a shot overnight tonight, thanks.

chris

6. Chris Figat

Chris Figat Auditioning

well, $315 and several months later i'm back. turns out a power surge blew out the tuner and several other components in the tv. been watching dvd's like crazy now [​IMG] thanks for the help guys.
    chris