Please tell me about the Infinity Alpha 50 floor speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dah-Dee, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I'm thinking of upgrading my audio system and see that my local Circuit City has a pair of these open-box for $340 each. Good speakers? Good deal? I can't seem to find much on the internet about them (saw one review of an Infinity Alpha setup including these, good review), not many places seem to sell them (seems like approx. $800 is the going price for a pair). Anybody have these? Hoping for some (more detailed) customer reviews in addition to the handful at the CC web site. Thanks!

Edit: Here's my current 5.1 setup (please don't laugh!):

Teac AG-D9100 receiver
    JBL ARC center channel speaker
    MCS Series A 8290 Honeycomb Disc Speaker System floor speakers (made by Technics [???] for J.C. Penney -- anybody have ANY info/opinions on these speakers?!?)
    EPI Series 3 Model 70 bookshelf (rear surround) speakers
    Sony SA-WM40 powered subwoofer

Panasonic PT-53WX42 HDTV
    Panasonic RP56 DVD player

I'm thinking of:
    (1) Replacing the receiver with an Onkyo 701 or something similar;
    (2) Replacing the floor speakers with the Infinity Alphas -- perhaps moving the MCS speakers elsewhere in the room for a more elaborate (6.1/7.1?) surround setup (suggestions?) or into another room along with the Teac for a second system (second TV in that room, no audio system yet);
    (3) Eventually moving the JBL center to the rear center and (if I buy the Alphas) picking up a matching Alpha center channel speaker (37?) for the front.

I'm debating whether to buy a new receiver first or buy the Alphas instead and wait (probably a couple of months) for the receiver. I'd appreciate any input.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

John: check your PM box.

LJ

3. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Thanks, Lance! Sent PM back.

4. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Well, I bought the Infinity Alpha 50s and have them set up -- they sound great! Clear sound, solid (not loose/boomy) bass. I think I did the right thing by getting the speakers first and waiting on the receiver. I'll keep my eyes open for the next couple of months looking for a good deal on a nice receiver, saving my pennies so I can hopefully take advantage of one of the many great deals we see on the internet instead of being shackled to BB/CC.