please teach me what is the proper way to terminate full metal locking plugs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David K., Jun 2, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

im looking for large gauge plugs,

i just ordered 4 wire canare cables from blu jeans, and plan to terminate the cables with banana plugs like there.

but im confused, once the banana is terminated and locked, the tip splits, does that mean i cant plug them in the speakers? do i have to twist then off insert and twist them back on? if so that would make shring tubing the plugs impossible

or are the plugs meant to be plugged in after then tips are locked and expanded?

since the entire body of the plug is metal, will i have to shrink tube the entire body of the connector to prevent electrical shorts? i read somewhere that if the banana plug is metal, it needs to be covered..
    do these plugs require soldering or crimping?
    please help a newbie diy hobbbyist out.

thank you

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The 4-wire (14 gauge each) canare cables roughly translate to 11 gauge per pair, I believe. Those plugs in your link are HUGE. You'll have to fold each pair at least once to get them to stay.

[​IMG]

Those two screws on the side will hold the wire in.

After you plug the banana plug into the 5-way binding post on your speaker, then you tighten the black body section of the plug. That will cause the spike to widen the tip and lock.

You do not need to shrink tube the entire body.

No soldering or crimping is necessary with these plugs.

BTW, I bought a bunch of them. Great quality for the money. They're on the right:

[​IMG]

That's 10 gauge cable I'm using, and I still needed to double up the wire inside.

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

thank you so much for the explaination, but hughe may be what i need, for example, that pic is a pic of a 10 awg cable and it still fits with room, BUT even though my canares will be 11 awg, i will be twisted two cables, the width of the twisted cable diameter may be too large for a 12 gauge plug. so the one up there may be perfect for two 14 gauge wires twisted together?

i like these too!
    http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

but the specs say its 12 gauge, which i think will be too small for a pair of "individually jacketed" twist 14 awg wire.

btw, should i be concerned with the metalbody coming into contact with the other? should i heat shrink the body since they seem abnormally large? the binding posts on my hk amp are very close together(but do accept banana) and whenever i adjust mu cables i have to turn the receiver around 90 degrees or more, so there is a big chance that the two metal bodys may have contact. is this a concern i should have? i really would like to see them first hand, but not worth $25 to buy 8 pairs just to see if they will fit my hk.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Those non-locking ones are definitely smaller. I do like the locking ones better though.

Go with the locking. It should be fine for you.

They should not touch on the back of your H/K.