What's new

Please suggest scenes from these DVDs to showcase progressive player (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
I don't know if this belongs in Software, Hardware or Polls, but I wanted to post this here because of the exposure it would get--and I don't think of this as "just another poll." Here's the situation:
My dealer is letting me take home an Panny RP91 to go with my new Panny 47" 16x9 HD-ready TV. I want to compare the progressive output of the RP91 to my current Sony 560D interlaced player. The TV itself supposedly does the inverse 3:2 pulldown on film sources but it's commonly said that you'd rather have the player do it than the TV.
So can anyone recommend scenes from the following 10 DVDs that would showcase progressive vs. interlaced player differences? I settled on these 10 by looking at my friend's collection and borrowing discs that I already own so that I could sync them up and do a true A/B rather than stopping the disc mid-test and switching players. I tried to mix in special effects movies with some non-SE laden movies.
Armageddon Criterion - this will also compare the scaling abillity of non-anamorphic titles by the RP91 vs. the TV.
Austin Powers
Charlie's Angels
Elizabeth
Gattaca
Jurassic Park - DD version
Mission Impossible 2
Return to Me
Star Trek: First Contact
Toy Story 2 - From the 3 DVD box set
I've made sure to get the EXACT same transfers (i.e. Toy Story from the Box set, Criterion version of Armageddon) so we can discount any differences as being from the transfer.
What I'm asking from you all is to say something like "in Austin Powers, watch for Austin's blue & white spotted shirt in the groovy jumbo jet scene" and maybe tell me what to look for.
I don't mind spending money on the RP91, but I want to be sure there is something I'm gaining from it.
Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well crap, I thought I was in software, but it turns out I'm in hardware. Well, if this isn't appropriate, please feel free to move this Monsieur Administrators.
Thanks!
redface.gif

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Can you get a copy of Titanic? The ships railing can cause problems to interlaced players, you would definitely want to see improvement with the Panny player.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a copy, I'll ask if he has one.
Surprisingly though, I've already checked Titanic on my interlaced player through the TV and those scenes you describe with the rails (especially during a pan) look surprisingly good, even through S-Video input!
If I can't borrow it, I'll just do an A/B while switching the disc between players since I know exactly what I'm looking for.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Carlo, your Panny already has a pretty decent scan-doubler, so forget about looking for jaggies and concentrate on overall picture quality.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John! Duh, can't believe I didn't think to ask this over at the TV/Proj threads we are involved in (or asking you directly).
Yes, I have heard that the RP91 has superior picture to most other mass-market level DVD players out there. Having only been a Tosh 2006 and Sony 300/560 user, I welcome any improvement. Will definitely look at "the big picture" in addition to any artifacts.
Hopefully the RP91 won't have that static/snow problem that I seem to be having when I try to hook up the 560D via component to the TV. That alone would justify the purchase of the new RP91--especially since I'll just sell my old 560D to my sister for like $100.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
White bold titles and credits in any movie are the best test pattern..
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In Star Trek: First Contact, go to the first appearance of the Enterprise (after Picard's Borg dreams) and keep an eye on the deflector dish as the ship turns and approaches. As noted, your TV may have a good enough line doubler that you won't see any flickering on the deflector even in interlaced mode. But it's a good scene for comparisons.
There's a scene near the end of Armageddon where the camera appears to pass through the gas clouds trailing the asteroid and then approaches the drill site on the surface. There are pipe sections lying on the ground, and they flicker like crazy on most displays as the camera moves in (the non-enhanced transfer doesn't help). It's a brief shot, but it's a real torture test for doublers and progressive scan players.
M.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Good point, John.
I was actually amazed at the TV set's built-in doubler/3:2 because when I would watch for those things in end-credits on my interlaced player, the set did look like it had doubled the signal properly!
Will be interesting to do an A/B with the RP91 to see which is better, though.
Thanks Michael (we must have been posting simultaneously). I will definitely look for those scenes.
------------------

[Edited last by Carlo Medina on July 19, 2001 at 01:15 PM]

M

MaxY

Well if you are looking for scenes that a good player does well that might trip up a poor player...
The Fifth Element, when they are building LeeLou in that tube.
Hallow Man durring the scenes where he or the dog are disappearing or reappeaing where you see the internal organs kind of reapear from the center out or disappear from the outside in. :)
Also in Tron the Light Cycle race on the grids seem to be a faovirte of some for checking out the doubler/prog scan players.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't own the other 2 DVDs (we'll see about renting) but for Fifth Element you are definitely on to something. I'll ask my friend if he has that disc, if not I'll just have to switch the disc between players like I will for Titanic.
------------------

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think that any scene in Austin Powers where Mike Myers is wearing one of those 1960's checkered jackets would be a good test. Robert Preston's checkered jacket in The Music Man is always a good test.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Sorry, this isn't in your list, but....
The whole battle of Corinth sceen in Gladiator is a great test.
It's got chain mail, embroidered costumes and lots of horizontal lines in the coliseum. This is all stuff that cause very noticeable interlace artifacts.
I saw huge improvements when my friend brought his 3:2 pulldown progressive player over and we tried it out.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Scott, will definitely check out the AP checkered outfits.
Andrew, I own Gladiator, but my friend doesn't, so that scene may be a switch disc between players test if I haven't been totally convinced by A/B'ing those that are on my list.
------------------

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Carlo,
I can tell you that I went from the same Sony 560 DVD to the RP-91 and haven't looked back since. While weel transferred DVDs looked better on the RP-91 the crapy transfers and nonanamorphic DVDs appearance on the 91 is definitely what sold me on this unit. Hands down w/o spending thousands of $$$ I think this is the best player around.
Also look back a few weeks (probably 4 now) and you should see my post on the RP-91. I believe it was titles something like For Ron-P and others interested in the RP-91.
I really really like this player!
Greg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Greg. The Panny TV does a great job with converting the interlaced signal from the 560D, so I'm not sure if I'll experience the same jump in quality you did. I know that I couldn't believe this was the same 560D I was using last week on a 32" direct view! But I'm hoping you're right, and that this is one of the final (yes, final, I'm out of cash
biggrin.gif
) steps to achieving great picture at home.
------------------

nousername

Supporting Actor
In "Toy Story 1", at the beginning of chapter 6, near the top of the screen, you can see door opening as the camera pans from right to left. Watch the angled line in the moulding of the door. It should be slightly smoother with a progressive scan player.
Also try Chapter 12, where the "Dinoco" sign is spinning. Again, it should appear smoother with a progressive scan player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks