What's new

Please stop with the clapping... (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

Oh my God, you people are old! :D ;)

I don’t like the theater experience that much anymore. The last time I went to King Kong, there was one person who kept opening his "multifunctional" mobile phone during the entire film and taking pictures and videos for souvenir and the bright light of the mobile screen was awful in the dark theater. I was close to say something. I mean come on, if you want to get a picture, get it nice from the internet, if you want the movie, buy the DVD in few months, the half-ass quality pictures and videos he took are good for nothing. :angry:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
What do you mean? That taking pictures and videos throughout the movie is normal and no big deal?

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Every time I saw Star Wars that year (eight times in the first six months of release) the crowd also burst into applause when the Millenium Falcon went into hyper drive.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Well Mike I guess I will take your side a little bit. I am sick of people clapping for stupid stuff. If you want to clap at the end of the movie so be it but I don't need to hear your movie praise any other time. I don't talk in the movies or bring a cell so at least I am consistant on being quiet. I don't mind people showing emotion such as laughing or or yelling if they get scared but please don't clap just because something nice happened.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Thankfully, you and Mike are in the minority. (**APPLAUSE**) ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have never, I repeat NEVR been to a showing of a movie where people clapped. Either everyone in NY is partly catatonic or I've only been to bad movies.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I guess in theory it is a bit silly to clap during a movie, but that's why I still enjoy the movie-going experience. Yes, there are a lot of annoyances that go along with seeing movies in theaters these days: rude people, cell phones, unruly kids, high ticket and concession prices; but despite all of the inconveniences, it's that clinging hope that I'll get one of those magical movie going experiences that transports me back to when I was a kid. I remember seeing Aliens in a packed theater, and when that classic line was uttered (you know the one :)) the theater exploded!! It was such a rush, like we were all feeling the same emotions, and just had to let it out. It's moments like this that still make me want to brave the bad crowds and defend the theater experience to people who have grown sour on it. That's why I became such a movie buff, and continue to get excited about sitting in a dark auditorium with a couple hundred strangers.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Really, if you don't want crowd reactions to movies, you are better off seeing them at home. One of the main benefits of watching a film in a movie theater is the crowd reaction. That is part of the EXPERIENCE of seeing a film.

It is one of the reasons why I like going to the CWRU SciFi Marathon. It isn't just to see a bunch of films of varying quality and the lack of sleep, but seeing it with a crowd of people and how they react to the films (positivly or negativly).

Now, reactions that have nothing to do with the film I can't stand and are not appropriate, but that's a different subject.

Jason

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
It's odd how this anti-clapping thread has morphed into a pro-clapping thread.

Here in Manhattan, and generally in NYC, people are demonstrative. Lots of sheer rudeness beyond that too.

I think maybe, to be fair, the Thread Starter was attempting to convey that excessive audience reaction dispells the illusion. What's excessive may be too subjective to be debated. But perhaps as rude behavior has grown worse over the years, audience reaction has similarly become more intrusive.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the best experience with clapping at the movies was in LA.. back in 2001. I saw a screening of Superman the movie SE.. the crowed was really into it.. they clapped during the main titles, and they clapped when Christopher made his first appearance.. and also clapped throughout the end credits. It was pretty amazing. I don't I never had any experence like that.. before.
it was cool.

JACOB

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's such a cool movie moment. I think I clapped at home watching the video for the the first time.

As far as old -- I think I was one of the one's clapping at the Nannies flying away in Poppins and cheering during the "horse race" as well as when Maria blew the whistle back at the Captain in another Julie movie. What about when Herbie came in Win and Show in the same race?

Don't think I quite made the Chariot Race in Ben Hur though.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I think there is a big difference between reacting to what is on screen through applause, laughing, screaming, etc. and downright rude behavior such as talking, cell phones, and the like.

I like being in audience that reacts to a movie. When I saw "King Kong", there were two women sitting next to me that screamed in terror at certain scenes and after the film I mentioned to them that really got into the film. Told them that it added to my experience.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont mind aplauding just as long as they arent clapping during the whole movie.
I sometimes clap at the end of a good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks