What's new

PLEASE sign the petition for Alien 3 SE (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Alien 3 said:
This, to me, would be the makings of the greatest special edition ever made. Not only going to the production process itself (which few SEs do properly), but going into what might have been - while exposing the mistakes of a major studio. Cold be compelling stuff.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Damn Terrell, why bother posting in a thread thats obviously supposed to be for FANS of the film! Totally pointless posts. What's more, you also obviously have absolutely no knowledge of the details surrounding the studio's alteration of Alien 3, making any judgements about whether Fincher would be interested, or whether it could be improved, totally useless.
I don't agree and I don't think Terrell was thread crapping. I'd rather a studio know the truth about who is and who isn't interested in a title, rather than lead them to believe everyone wants it. I'm sure Terrell's position is held by other owners of the DVD; that is, not everyone who owns the boxed set would repurchase this. There's nothing wrong with being truthful.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Sigh. Someone is always petitioning for a DC or SE of Alien 3. I'll gladly sign knowing someday they'll re-visit this treasure. Being one of the biggest fans of the Saga in the HTF, i'd love to see a Special Edition treatment.

Scott

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Though, Patrick, my impression is that the workprint is really almost a different film than the theatrical version. I'm game for this one. I'd much rather Fox used its resources on this than pan & scan reissues of perfectly good widescreen movies.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Though, Patrick, my impression is that the workprint is really almost a different film than the theatrical version. I'm game for this one. Even though I own the boxset, I'd buy a director's cut of this. I know Fincher has said no way no how, but opinions change over time and he might reconsider at some point. I'd certainly much rather Fox used its resources on this than pan & scan reissues of perfectly good widescreen movies.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Damn Terrell, why bother posting in a thread thats obviously supposed to be for FANS of the film! Totally pointless posts. What's more, you also obviously have absolutely no knowledge of the details surrounding the studio's alteration of Alien 3, making any judgements about whether Fincher would be interested, or whether it could be improved, totally useless.
Paul, do you enjoy attacking me in every thread I go in. How is my post thread crapping? Is it because I stated that there was already a very fine DVD of this film. Is it because I stated it wasn't a good film in my opinion and that I see no need for a rerelease? I signed his petition and wished him the best on his objective.

You also need to quit assuming what I do and do not know. I do know of the studio's interference. Doesn't change my opinion that it's a bad film. You also shouldn't jump to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of the Alien series. Alien and Aliens are two of my favorite films, that I absolutely love. If you don't agree with my opinion, then just don't saying anything.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Answer: said:
This is simply absolute rubbish. The so-called knowledge you have of the studio's interference should have told you that a better version does exist on videotape, as described above! Also, by definition, a really, really bad film, can ONLY BE improved. By what you've said it clearly can't get any worse.
I hope you don't take offense! Its all in good fun here. :D

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I so the 164 version in the show on the opening weeked here in Canada.It was a Very long film.:b

Jim C

Second Unit
Charlie de Lauzirika said:
If you had seen the workprint version that's been floating around as a bootleg VHS for the last several years, you would see how. Although it's a rough cut, with temp effects and no score, it's a significantly better film, in my opinion.
What's also important about an "Alien 3" Special Edition is to not only present a Director's Cut, but to document the hellish production of this film and explore all of Fincher's original concepts before they were steamrolled over by the ever-dreaded Powers That Be. And there are a series of deleted scenes that aren't even in the workprint, involving the prisoners on the planet's surface (as briefly glimpsed in the trailer and promotional featurette.)
Now this is a guy who knows his stuff. Not only is he one hell of a respected DVD producer, he also appreciates Fincher's original vision for Alien 3 - much like the rest of us who have seen the workprint. Charlie also quite rightly points out that there is so much additional material that never even made the bootleg workprint (but would have appeared in Fincher’s first assembly of the film):
A cat scan sequence showing the Queen foetus being impregnated into Ripley's abdominal cavity - a SFX that was fully completed.
Clements outside the prison facility on the morning watch, dwarfed by industrial machinery in a barren landscape (filmed on the backlot at Pinewood).
Ripley washed ashore - literally covered in lice.
Clements carrying Ripley back to the prison and into the shower room.
The oxen dragging a full size EEV out of the ocean and onto the beach (filmed on location in Newcastle).
Several scenes of the prisoners praying - establishing the religious nature of their community.
The discovery of the 'Super' facehugger in the abattoir.
The birth of the 'bambi' alien from the ox (in the abattoir).
Newt’s autopsy scene was much longer and more graphic.
The death of Boggs, Rains and Clements were much more violent.
Several finished SFX shots of the Alien.
When Ripley goes down to the 'basement', she comes face-to-face with the alien in an extended scene.
Dillon’s original death saw him escape from the lead mould, only for the alien to pull him back into the boiling lead.
2 more alternate scenes of the chestburster during Ripley's final moments.
And much more besides.
I also agree with Charlie that the making of Alien 3, from it's long scripting process to the eventual filming and post production, would also be a fascinating and important inclusion on the discs. Not many people are aware that Vincent Ward's Alien 3 went well into pre-production, including designs, SFX and even set construction at Pinewood - in fact, much of Vincent Wards monastery remained in the final film.
Alien 3 has always divided fan opinion - those who wanted a continuation of Jim Cameron’s take on the series, and those who understood and appreciated Fincher’s daring vision of a dark, moody, claustrophobic and realistic future. Public opinion has changed over the years with more and more people finally understanding what Fincher & Co were trying to achieve when making this film. And one question I hear all the time is when will we get to see Fincher's original vision.
Making a special edition DVD set of Alien 3 is a viable proposition. The cast and crew are all still with us (with the exception of the late, great Brian Glover), the lost footage does still exist, and there is a huge desire from thousands of fans to finally own this.
In fact Charlie, I read in an interview that an Alien 3: SE DVD set would be a project you would like to undertake, and given your exceptional track record as a DVD producer I would love to see this happen.
ps. Charlie, if you ever get the job, I insist you hire me as your assistant so I can get to rummage through all the lost footage and discover the untold secrets of A3;).
pps. petition signed Pineapples:)

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
I always hated this film and understood there was a lot of material removed, but seeing what some of that material was makes me want to see it uncut. Bring on the SE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.