Please recommend set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nov 4, 2000
    I have been out of the loop for a while, so I really don't know what is good out there now anymore. Back then, an Abit BH6 and a Celeron 300 OC'ed @450 where the new kids on the block! You can see come from the distant past :b
    Also, DIY was the way to go, as opposed to buying from DELL, Gateway etc...
    Anyway, could you please recommend a system based on the following?:
    - A large HD
    - A good graphic card
    - CD burner / don't care about DVD, should I?
    - I already have a SB Live! Value lying around, do I really need a new sound card?
    - I also have 128MB pc133 I believe, unless its pc100
    - I already have a video capture card
    - $1000 or less
    The system will be used mainly for video editing, surfing, and occasional gaming.
    My last question is whether or not it is still better to go the DIY route. Honestly I would rather not: Computers are not that big a hobby for me anymore and I am not looking forward to spending entire evenings dealing with buggy drivers... I want a stable machine, I really have other things to worry about in my life now [​IMG] Also, I get the feeling building your own computer is not as good a deal as it used to be, manufs are offering dirt cheap systems...
    So, what is good? [​IMG]
  2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jun 21, 2000
    First off...I'd say, build it's so much cheaper these days, that it's really the way to go. I'll also give you some suggestions
    - For the CPU go with a
    Athlon XP1700+ (1.467Ghz) w/an ECS K7V5A Motherboard + HSF
    from for $229
    - Get the IBM 60GXP 80GB drive for 160 + shipping
    - Hot deal if you have Amex Blue...goto Best Buy B&M and buy the VisionTek GeForce 3 Ti200 for 200. You get a $50 rebate + with Amex Blue, pricematch to the lowest price on the web ~$150, totaling $100 + tax total.
    - For the CDRW go with a Lite-On 32x10x40x for $101.
    - Keep the SBLive it'll work fine
    - Scrap the old RAM get a stick of Crucial 256MB DDR for 75...It'll work with the ECS motherboard.
    - You'll need a case if you're building your own, I strongly suggest the Antec SX830, you can get one from for $80
    All that great stuff for only 745 + any shipping and tax that may come into the picture. So, if you need a monitor, you should have enough cash left over for a nice one.
    Hope this helps...
  3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    Overclocking just isn't what it used to be. Most of my friends don't even bother o/cing their Pentium4s because it really doesn't help all that much.

Here's a setup:

Asus P4S333 Mobo $100

Pentium4 1.7Ghz $160

256meg PC2100 DDR ram $50

Barricuda IV 60Gig @7200rpm HD $100 (Silent)

Lite on CDRW 24x10x40 $80

ATI Radeon 8500 Graphics card OEM $170

Sound Blaster Live's digital audio is still fine even though the new Sound Blaster Audigy supports digital Optical.

I'd think about DVDR once the prices go down for the blank discs and it becomes more popular on the market.

Here are some other suggestions for substitutes with their explanations:

Plextor CDRW 24x10x40 (Brand Name) $140

The 32X CDRWs are not much faster (shaves about 30 seconds tops off the burn time)

Western Digital 80gig Cavair 7200rpm or Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80gig 7200rpm Hard drives will do well(I'm still not sure about those IBM drives)

I also hear a lot about the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus for AMD processors that has onboard 5.1 audio, LAN, 6 PCI and USB 2.0 ports. Crucial ram is good but will he need it?
  4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Aug 2, 2000
    If you are going to be doing video editing, you are going to want more than 128 ram. I would just stick 512 in there, load Win2K or XP on the machine and you're set.

I would agree with the other posters though, that you should build your own. So long as you are buying common equipment (ie. not some funked out audio card or something) you shouldn't have any problems with getting the computer to be stable.

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Mar 24, 1999
    If you dont want to mess with building it yourself, I suggest going with DELL. I got a P-4 256ram,40gb hard drive 17 in moniter, cd burner, and TONS of extra's for $1000.
    But TIMO.
  6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Mar 31, 1999

ASUS P4S333-

INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.2G - 478

512MB NON-ECC PC2100

ASUS V8200T2 PURE 64MB

60GB IDE HDD

PLEXTOR 12/10/32X CDRW

LITE-ON 16X DVD / 1.44 FDD

It will all cost $1600 at Mwave for them to put together.

Any suggestions, modofications, etc?
  7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Jan 22, 2000
    Use the SB card but not the memory. Memory is high right now (256MB of PC2100 will cost around $75) but a P4 setup w/ DDR or Rambus will be faster due to greater memory bandwidth; Corsair and Crucial are usually good memory.

Since you want stability, I'd go w/ the Intel 845D chipset on the mobo (DDR memory). Good choices would be the Asus P4B266-C, Abit BD7 or maybe even the Intel D845BG (which has onboard audio so you'd need to disable it).

The IBM 60GB 60GXP is a good drive; I have 2 60GXPs and am very pleased w/ them. For a video card, I'd go w/ Radeon 8500. If you can swing it, I'd go for the new Northwood core P4 (maybe the 2.0A) but you can save quite a bit and go w/, say, the 1.8GHz Willamette core P4.

Have fun.