What's new

please recommend best brands for plasma hdtv (1 Viewer)

Mike<C

Auditioning
I am just starting the process of looking for a plasma hdtv. I am pretty new to this so I don't know too much about hdtv sets. I thought a good place to start would be to get some suggestions what you all think are the best brands of plasma hdtv sets (and maybe also some model numbers), then I could do some research. Looking in the $5-10,000 range & 37-43" size. Is plasma hdtv better than just a hdtv set? Would also take any suggestions for just hdtv sets (non-plasma).

Another question I have is what type of dvd player do I need to use on hdtv? My understanding is that it has to be a "progressive scan". Is that correct? Best Brands available?

I am also interested in getting dvd recorder to transfer old VHS tapes I have to dvd. Is it possible to get one of these for that purpose & that is also a good dvd player to watch dvd on hdtv set? Thanks for any suggestion.

John S

Senior HTF Member
All display technologies have pros and cons.

Plasma is a good display technology, I tend to favor Panasonic plasma displays myself. I do not own plasma.

In looking at all the pros and cons, I still chose a CRT RP myself.

best of luck.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Mike

42 inch plasma. Best picture quality on HD material and DVD = Phillips 42PF9956, $4,000. Best picture quality on standard definition material, Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P, $5,000.

I wanted a really big screen and went with a Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV from ONECALL for $2,200 delivered. Picture quality is stunning and you can't imagine how big a difference a 65 inch screen is compared to a 42 inch screen.

It would take two and a half 42 inch screens to give you the picture area of one 65 inch screen.

So, for less than half the money, you can get 2.5 times as much HD picture.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks