What's new

please recommend AV receiver for under $700.00 (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hi folks-

Here are my requirements ofr my next AV Receiver and my budget is ~$600.00

Power = ~70-150 Watts/channel RMS X 6 Channels (20-20KHZ)

Video Inputs = at least 2

Video Outputs = at least 2

Audio Inputs = at least 3

Audio Outputs = 5.1-6.1 Capability

Video Switching = Preferred (not absolute)

Decoder = At least 6.1 (Upgradable)- DD/DTS-ES/PLII/THX(maybe)

Features = programmable speaker output (delays/X-over etc) and this unit HAS to remember the settings for each DSP. and BASS management.

Other = Banana speaker posts...NOT TOO BRIGHT display...

Well, this should last me for a while (3-5 years).

Thanks in advance.

Angelo

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
there are many receivers that fit in your category. what i would do is visit many stores that cary several brands and try them out. look for things such as ease of use, general layout of controls, overall design. try them out with the same speakers if possible. all of these things are purely subjective so it has to fit what you like. brands i would recommend looking at are yamaha, denon, onkyo, outlaw and marantz. do you want to listen to music as much as ht. if so marantz sounds great for music but has had some reliability issues in the past. outlaw does not have dpl2 but is a great deal and well respected here on the forum. i put yamaha, denon and onkyo in the same "category". they are very reliable and sound great for music and ht with many options for each. in your price range you should be able to find the yamaha rx-v1200, denon 2802 and onkyo 797 (maybe). i have not demoed the onkyo but know from people who own other models that it is agreat product. the denon and yamaha i have a lot of experience with. both i came within a hair of buying at one point or the other. both have everything you asked for(maybe more). the denon to me sounded great for ht but was almost a little too warm for music. i though some of the highs faded out too quick. it is built great though, real solid. the yamaha sounds great with both music and ht. i think the new yamahas are not nearly as bright as they have been in the past and they now have a great full sound. great highs and lows. but again a lot will depend on your speakers. i am very partial to yamaha though. i would take a serious look at those three units though. but do try out as many models as you can. best of luck in your search!!

DavidAM

Second Unit
I went through this awhile back and settled on the Harman Kardon AVR-520 from JandR.com for $636 shipped. Regular price was $649 and I got it for $610 plus shipping.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up my Marantz SR6200 for $599 locally, and I am extremely pleased with it.
Power = 105 x 6, full bandwidth rated 20-20K, high current
Video Inputs = 5 Svid, 5 composite (1ea on front)
Video Outputs = 3ea Svid and composite
Audio Inputs = Dozens - composite, coax, optical and 7.1 analog
Audio Outputs = 6.1 preamp outs
Video Switching = Yes though some have had problems with this feature. I don't use it for this.
Decoder = basically everything but THX cert
Other = 5 way binding posts all around, selectable brightness for display.
Features = programmable speaker output (delays/X-over etc) and this unit HAS to remember the settings for each DSP. and BASS management.
I'm not sure ANYTHING in this price range will have ALL of those features together. All will have individual delays, but not all have individual x-over. The Sony DA5ES and 3ES have individual x-over for each channel. Not many that I know remember settings for a each DSP. While I see the potential benefit for this, I don't have an issue with not having it for two reasons: 1)Once properly setup, the config should work well in most modes and 2) I don't like DSP modes.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
GREAT responses..I really appreciate it! I currently have the HK AVR 110 and its good for what it does but i think its a little dated.

John-

Thanks for the input. I really don't care much for DSP either, what I meant was for it to remember mostly the Stereo Settings and the DTS or DD settings. Currently my AVR 110 does this particular function and I really like it...I don't want to have to set up (SPECIALLY SUB LEVEL) everytime I listen to a particular track or movie for that reason.

I looked into the Onkyo and The Denon and they seem to be great AV's..I also read a lot about the OUTLAW and seems to be steered towards it. But I guess I can live with the AVR 110 for the moment (maybe 2-3 months)and who knows, maybe the Onkyo 600 will be something super.

Thanks again for all the inputs..keep them coming.

Angelo

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
what I meant was for it to remember mostly the Stereo Settings and the DTS or DD settings
I guessed as much, as I would like to have my mains set to large for stereo music, while I want them small for HT. I leave the sub setting alone on the receiver, and change the volume on the sub itself when going between movies and music. (my sub has a remote and memory settings)

DonJ

Second Unit
I have a H/K 320 and I love it. My speakers a Pardigm monitor series. Monitor 9 v.2 , CC370 v.2, Mini monitor for the rears, and a PS 1000 v.2 sub bring up the bass. It sounds awesome people come in to check it out and there wowed by the sound. I admit when I bought the system I was a little nervous about the power rating but once I got it home and hook it up wow. I would gladly do a side by side with ANY receiver in this price category and maybe a few that are higher. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks