Please recommend an outstanding 3 channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geo, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a 3 channel amp for my combination

Home Theater/Music system. Or maybe three mono block amps. Speakers are the Revel M20 used for left/center/right. I'm considering both new and used amps. I'd like to keep the damage under $2K. I may have to look at mono blocks because there just aren't that many 3 channel amps out there.

I'm considering the Aragon 8008x3.

Or maybe one of the Proceed's..........

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

geo

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Geo -

I've had my Odyssey HT3 for about 2-1/2 weeks now. I am running it in a 2 channel system with a pair of Magnepan MMG's, as my HT speakers are still under construction. I was running them with an Alesis RA100 prior to this, a pro amp for running studio monitors with about half the power of the stratos. At any volume level, the difference is very dramatic. You should very definitely consider one if it meets your power needs (150wpc 8 ohms).

At my door with the capacitance upgrade, it was about $1450.

Downside, many weeks wait time as they are backordered.

BB

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Anthem MCA 3, series II.

4. john fairchild

john fairchild Auditioning

I think the Aragon is the way to go.Built like a tank,great sounding and can be had for around 1800.00 new.

5. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

Bryston 6BST, but you're gonna have to come up with some more clams. [​IMG]

6. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

What about a good 5ch amp? I am now using an EAD PM1000 to drive my center and mains(Magnepan 1.6)and it is fantastic. I was using an Acurus A250 for the mains, and switching to the EAD provided a huge jump in quality. Soundstage, control,and refinement, were all brought to these somewhat unforgiving speakers. I am runnung the Maggies with 4 channels in a passive bi-amp configuration with some (not huge) improvement over using only 2 channels. I understand that the M20 is not bi-wire/bi-amp capable but I am sure you can find a use for the other 2 channels.Of course, the Odyssey and the Aragon are very good choices as well if a 3 channel amp is what you need.

Jason

BTW, I paid 1850.00 for a demo unit with warranty from an EAD dealer.

7. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

The Adcom 5503 has 200w for all three channels, and can be found on e-bay or Audiogon for about 750.00. Good luck!

8. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Geo,
    Have you considered a Sherbourn amp?
    It is a 200 watt monoblock design, with all 3 in the same chassis. In addition, you can add 2 more within the same box at any time in the future. I think it retails for somewhere around $1500, but I can hook you up with an authorized dealer who will give a 25% discount. Finally, it has balanced inputs and auto-on capability as well.
    Go to sherbourn.com or check out the reviews at audioreview.com. If interested, you can email me at [email protected] for more info.
    Randy

9. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

The Adcom 5503 is a very nice amp. And the price for such performance is superb. It will do 200W
    per channel continuous, 350W continuous into 4 ohms. [​IMG]

10. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Parasound A2205, nice, very nice.
    Just under 2K
    220 x5 RMS
    Rotel 1095:
    Don't like the fins on the front, but it is built well. 200x5

11. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

How about the AT1506 (ATI's 6 channel amp) ? The 6 channels can be bridged to get 450W @ 8 ohms per channel for the front 3 ..

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Since you're considering used, I've seen the following amps used under $2k
    McCormack DNA-HT3 ($1400 at audioclassics.com)
    Bryston 5BST
    Acurus A200x3 (the little brother to the Aragon line)
    the Bryston 6BST would be cool but finding one under $2k would be problemsome cause I'm told it's fairly new. The 5BST is a less powerful 3-channel amp that can be found used under $2k. They're typically underrated as far as power goes anyway. The 20 year transferable warrentee is the best I've heard of in my travels. [​IMG]
    Jay

13. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

The Adcom GFA-5503 MOSFET amp, based on a Nelson Pass design, is superb (I've used one for quite some time in my theater room). IMHO, you'll have to spend quite a bit more to improve upon its combination of performance and power.

If a rated 125 watts/channel ([email protected] ohms) is sufficient, Belles (powermodules.com) offers its highly regarded 150A and 150A Hot Rod MOSFET amps in three-channel versions ($1500 and $2000, respectively).

14. Greg Silberman

Greg Silberman Auditioning

Hi

I have recently been looking for a 3-channel amp to go with my stereo amp and think I have decided on a proceed HPA3. It is over $2K new but you can get pretty close to that on the used market. Check audiogon.com. I have to wait until the first of the year but now might be agood time to look as people are upgrading equipment.

Regards,

Greg