please recommend an all-in-one inkjet...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shoaib Lateef, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Shoaib Lateef

Shoaib Lateef Second Unit

i'm in the market for an all-in-one inkjet, one that can print good (if not great) pics, scan, fax, and copy.

there are so many of them; many different models by even the same company...

does anyone have any head-to-head info about which one is "best"? in terms of best, i mean print quality, especially for pics. and speed wouldn't hurt either...

i'm sure it'll be between epson and hp, but which model?

can anyone help? [​IMG]

2. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I'm thinking about buying the same thing Shoaib. I'll also be interested in what everyone has to say.[​IMG]

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I bought a HP PCS1200 several months ago for $99 at Sears, but it can be had for the same price at Wal Mart, Target, etc... It's an all-in-one unit with printing, fax, copier and scanner. I don't remember what the dpi is but the pics are pretty good. I mainly use it to print reports and pages for my DVD Profiler.
    Since it's a color ink jet printer, it takes two cartridges with the color being about $10 more expensive than the black.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    One of the things you'll have to decide is, if you want a glass-plate type of copier or run-through. The last one is generally more compact and less expensive, but you cannot copy pages from books or stapled documents.

Personally, I chose the latter and am very pleased with an HP 5100. Have it for more than a year now but I don't know if the exact model is still for sale.
    This one is also very good at photo prints (on specialized paper).

Cees

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Cees mentions a good point. There are a couple of others to keep in mind. Many of the more inexpensive, all-in-one machines will not feed multiple pages. You have to place each one on the glass plate and copy (or fax) individually. For most home use, this is not really a problem, but it is a handicap for a small business.

A disadvantage to HP, is that most of their models take only two cartridges: one black and the other a three color cartridge (cyan, magenta, yellow)—this is a disadvantage because you have to replace the entire cartridge when only one color is used up. Canon makes printers that use four cartridges, one for each color.

I selected the HP 2510 for my own use. It has built in wireless capabilities that I found attractive. The 2410 model is the same functionally except it does not have the wireless function and is also less expensive. It works very well as a fax independently of your computer, something that may or may not be important to you.

6. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

I have not been a fan of HP printers (or anything besides calculators) because the driver pack is astonishlingly huge. The last HP I installed used a 166MB driver pack and used over 40 megs of system memory. All the applications that come with the printer are always running in the background and eats up valuable system resources. Here is a link to the driver download site for the PSC1205 all-in-one http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&dlc=en&os=228

7. Lew Crippen

I have a slightly different view than David, as I don’t consider the use of system resources (of the scale he mentions) to be any big deal. For example, 166MB is trivial compared to the size of current disk drives. Plus any driver will take up some room, so it is not all a loss—only the difference between 166MB and whatever the size of a more efficient driver (in terms of space). The same with system memory or processor cycles.

Now to be sure if you are constrained for resource (perhaps you have only a very limited amount of RAM, then you may have a problem. But I would suggest that you will have one anyway when you install your next app.

8. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Just throwing in my 2 cents for you Shoaib, we've used an HP d135 for about two years now, never has given us any problems. We somehow consistently seem to go through the black cartridge every 15 days +or- a day or two, and the color cartridge last about 30 days. I was told once that when the copier shows that the black ink cartridge is getting low ,it starts to suck off of the color cartridge to make black ink. May be BS maybe someone can enlighten us on this. All in all, I have to give the HP a thumbs up[​IMG]

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

Not necessarily. On my HP DeskJet 830C, I tried printing as many pages as possible after one of the colors ran out. To my surprise, the other two colors started to run out less than two pages later. After that experience I stopped worrying about how much ink was left in an "empty" color cartridge.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Although I agree with Lew, I even wonder if it's true (didn't mean to rhyme, sorry).

My HP printer has a total of 149 KB (not Megs!) + a dll of 22 KB. Are you sure that your total doesn't include those supporting applications you also mentioned?

Cees

11. Lew Crippen

I assumed that David was measuring the whole package—not just the printer driver.

BTW, Cees, the meter would scan a bit better if you left out ‘even’. [​IMG]

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Of course, it all depends on what you print out. I print out a lot of flyers for my band, which consists of only black and yellow and I run out of the yellow QUICKLY, while the Cyan and Magentas are barely used. [​IMG]