Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Stay away from the following:

Dubra
Crystal Palace
Popov

They're inexpensive, but the taste burns a hole in your heart. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: I had an friend whose father was a self described drunk ("alcoholics go to meetings") that used to buy Popov by the case. Truly the most foul spirit to ever pass my lips. Tasted like they took all the impurities filtered/distilled out of the quality vodkas and poured it in a Popov bottle (plastic bottle, of course). About $9 a gallon and not worth it at a 10th the price.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Jeff (among others) has pretty well nailed it. As an alternative (if you want to steer away from Polish, Finnish, and French brands) you might try one of the North American vodkas made from grapes. Hanger 1 is an outstanding example.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
I just tried Three Olives last weekend (on sale, $20 for a handle) and it was pretty decent for the money...

-matt

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Vodka is frequently served neat—very chilled. Of course the colder, the less taste you get. A classic dish with vodka is caviar—something that will substantially raise the price of your meal, unless you wish to serve salmon lumpfish eggs instead of sturgeon. ;)

My preference is in a martini—don’t know how this would work for the Russians.

Yousaf

Second Unit
Anyone who said Grey Goose or Chopin are the winners...:D

Though if you want a really hardcore vodka, it doesn't get much harder than this.;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I am a big vodka fan and the one I normally drink is Polish - Wodka Wyborowa. It's a fairly run of the mill vodka in terms of price (at least in the UK) but I think it has the cleanest taste.

However, it must repeat must be served as cold as possible (if the alcohol content is high enough, I keep mine in the freezer, but the fridge is generally fine). And for those who aren't vodka drinkers, remember that the correct way to drink vodka is neat, in relatively small doses, and all at once - the pleasure is in the effect after you've drunk it. The first time you try this the effect can be akin to swallowing a lighted rag, but when you get used to it it's a wonderful sensation. If you're going to be doing this for the first time, Peter, I'd suggest practising a couple of days before your visitors arrive - I realise being forced to drink will be Hell, but persevere!

Vodka can of course also be served with mixers (vodka and tonic, and vodka martini are the two most obvious). I'd advise using a more mundane vodka for this, since basically all you're doing is adding alcohol - the mixer should provide the flavour.

Also remember that you can get flavoured vodkas. Most of these are vile, but if you can get one of the authentic Russian or Polish ones, they are worth trying. My personal favourite is Zybrowka bison grass vodka, which has a wonderful herby flavour. Lemon is also a popular choice (though to me it tastes like cough syrup). You can also get pepper flavoured vodka, though until you're used to vodka drinking, the effect can be like adding a sprinkling of plutonium to the lighted rag.

I personally would save vodka until after the meal, in the same manner as brandy, etc. I would personally serve it in small shot glasses, but if you don't have those, the sort of glass you would use for whisky will be fine.

However, a warning - it is very easy to overdo the doses of vodka, so please exercise caution. Generally speaking, the hangover from vodka is small/non-existent (lack of impurities in the drink) but it is very very easy to drink more alcohol than you realise.

One final point - I have relatively little experience of entertaining Russian guests, but the Russians I know generally prefer a decent single malt scotch.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
my fave is chopin. however, when i'm in the mood for something a little different, the van gogh dutch chocolate vodka is excellent. i've been known to make white russians with stoli vanilla. that reminds me, i'm out of vodka.

kevin t

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
If you want to see some serious Russian vodka drinking, see "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network this Wednesday at 0400 EST, thats 4:00 AM. Chef Tony Bourdain visits St. Petersburg. Fun watching him try to keep up with the Russians.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
When I drink, I drink straight vodka. Very cold, shaken in a shaker with ice, served on the rocks. Ketel One is the best vodka I've ever had. Grey Goose is right up there. Nothing else I've tried even comes close to those two.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Exactly. Isn't assuming that Russian guests like vodka the same as assuming, say, a Frenchman will only drink a Bordeaux, or an American only wants a Bud or a bourbon?

(I was going to add Irishman and Guiness, or a Scot and scotch, but I suspect those two are absolutely true... :D )

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Some SUBJECTIVE REVIEW::::

Reviewer: Mr. Anthony Giza >
http://damngoodwine.com/GutterVodkaBattle.htm

Vodka 1-
Kicks your ASS!
GF-Cough, Cough
GF’s Dad- Yeah, that has a little bite
Me-These shot glasses are great

Vodka 2-
Very smooth finish, not much after bite.
GF-This is pretty good, very smooth
GF’s Dad-Yeah, I like this one better than that one; much, much smoother
Me- Oops I drank the shot too fast, can I have a refill?

Vodka 3-
Mild vanilla, smooth, but not as smooth as #2, and a bit more vodka permeating the room than #2, but definitely not more than #1
GF- Yum, I bet this would be great with coke
GF’s Dad – Nice subtle vanilla notes, pretty smooth
Me- It’s a party on my tongue!

Vodka 4-
Clean Crisp finish. Fair quality.
GF-very crisp tasting
GF’s Dad-A touch of lemon
Me-Lets do this taste test one more time….

After we were done with our tasting, a heated battle arose where we decided on the winner. We talked, sipped and discussed our rankings and why. Here they are

4th Place-Absolut Vodka- Not as smooth or flavorful as the others

3rd Place- Krole– The Bite of potato vodka, smoothness of a grain

2nd Place- Belvedere – Smooth, Flavorful

1st Place- Grey Goose – The smoothest vodka to ever caress our lips

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I was hoping Tito's vodka would have been at least in the top 10 somewhere. Unless it's just not known that well.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Me too. I was hoping to see more Tito love as well, oh well, it remains the best vodka nobody knows about. More for us! :D

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Between the husband & myself, finished half the bottle of Grey Goose Sunday night. After many years of hard liquor drought, I was surprised to find myself without substantial loss of mind despite having consumed nearly an equal amount as the other fellow.

Definitely felt a buzz, especially as we started with a couple of shots prior to dinner. Then a couple more during and after. So in this case of such a short introduction, I was probably left with more of a physical sensation than a taste experience felt by a refined & seasoned connoiseur's palate.

Nonetheless, dinner with the Russians was fun - sushi + vodka, japanese green tea + russian tea cookies, & best for my wife, caviar brought by the guests.

Thanks for all the comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks