Please recommend a subwoofer for my system in the $250-$400 price range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jakarta Tom, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Jakarta Tom

Jakarta Tom Extra

The last piece of the puzzle. I am running a marantz 7200 receiver, paradigm reference studio 60's, kef surround and center channel speakers, and my 36" wegaxbr, now I just need a good subwoofer to compliment the rest of my equipment.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

With that price range I would look in the use market for an SVS or HSU. Everything else in your HT is very nice so I would not settle for anything else. You can probably even get something comparable going the DIY route.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Soundcity has a Atlantic Technology T70 sub, list for $500, you can get it for $249. I think that is hard to beat for the money. soundcity.com

4. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Same response I always give in this price range.

Go visit Brian at http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/ and give him a call. He can probably custom build you a good looking sub that will beat most commerical offerings in this price range.

Hope this helps.

6. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

The Infinity IL100 and IL120 are excellant subs and both fall into your price range~!

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

DIY. For $350 you could build a Tepmest that would best the entry level HSU and SVS subs. For $300 you could build a Shiva that would be right at the same level as the entry level HSU and SVS subs.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

8. Jakarta Tom

Jakarta Tom Extra

Great info so far guys. Just a couple more questions?
    What is a HSU and SVS ?

Also, I am very leary about the do it yourself kits, and the RAVA, although I like the price. Performance is important to me. How do they match up? I guess what I am trying to say is I don't know a thing about the do it yourself companies. I mean I know what I am getting with the name brand equipment, not to mention I get to listen to them. With the kits I don't hear a thing, I am just taking someones word.....although I hold in high regard many of you posters on this board. So what should I do?

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The Rava is far superior to anything you'd find at $400 retail. You won't find anywhere near the quality of parts from a $400 sub at your local Hi Fi store.

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Just do a search for SVS or HSU on this or almost any ht forum you'll see plenty of info on these subs.

www.svsubwoofers.com
    www.hsuresearch.com

If you're not into building one yourself or don't want to look into the used market, the Rava is an excellent choice.

11. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

SVS and Hsu are easily the most recommended subwoofers at the $400+ price range in these forums (and most other audio forums). You will hear endless debates about which is better, SVS or Hsu, but SVS provides many more offerings than Hsu does, and some SVS subwoofers extend down lower than Hsu subwoofers.

You'd probably do your best by picking up a used SVS or Hsu. I just got a used 16-46CS for $225 through these forums, and I'm using an old stereo receiver to power the subwoofer. It works wonderfully, however take my compliments with a grain of salt because I don't have much experience with subwoofers.

If you do decide on getting an SVS or Hsu subwoofer, just know that used ones are in your price range. DIY and other companies listed in this thread are also options you may want to consider as well.

12. ThuanVu

ThuanVu Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a used SVS 25-31CS for $175 shipped and power it with new PartExpress 250w (4ohms) plate amp for $119 shipped - Total $294 [​IMG]
    Good luck

13. Jakarta Tom

Jakarta Tom Extra

Is there any room to negotiate on the RAVA or is it a set price?

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

That's the price. You could barely buy the components and build it for that.

15. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

If you can stretch out your budget you can get the SVS 25-31pci or you can look for a used one. If not, I'll second the RAVA recommendation.