What's new

Please recommend a LCD TV for bedroom (1 Viewer)

Tom_J

Agent
Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted here. We are currently looking for a TV for the bedroom. We are not looking for a big display that will overpower the furnishings, but rather a smaller size display that will blend in better.

We went to BestBuy and decided somewhere in the 17-20 inch range and under $1,000. Looking for some recommendations for sets we should be looking at. Right now we just have regular cable. We may go to one of the dish providers later down the line for HD content, but that's a big maybe. We might hook up a DVD player to it (more probable), but no 5.1.

I'd like to hear what everyone recommends as well as any particular features or specs that's vital.

TIA.

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

I purchased a new computer from Dell a few months ago. It is well loaded, and I got their 17" widescreen LCD TV. I also got their 5.1 speakers. The whole system was only around $1,400. I have standard cable running into the TV, and it looks quite nice. I am very happy with it. I think it would be an excellent choice for a bedroom. We have ours in a formal living-room in a computer armoire. You should at least give it a look. I believe you can get the TV alone for around $550-$600 these days.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away.

Tom B.

Tom_J

Agent
Tom,
Thanks for your input. I went to the Dell site and could not find the 17 inch. However, I did find the 19 inch, which was still under my budget.

Would this happen to be the TV you're referring to?

I've read about the great quality of Dell LCD panels (FP series). But I really wish there was a way I can look at this screen in person before purchasing.

I will give this some consideration. Thanks again.

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
I went onto Dell's web site and tried to pull up my order. It wouldn't let me. I think only orders within the last 4 months are available, and I believe mine was back on October 25th.
Anyway, try this link: http://www.dell.com/html/us/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The W1700 is the TV I got. That 19" you found is probably their next step up. I'm assuming it's equally good - if not better.

I'd be more than happy to e-mail you some digital photos of mine, but they probably won't do it much justice.

Tom B

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I have the same question as Tom_J. I need a bedroom set. The Sharp Aquos was my first choice, but they are very expensive, and even more so if you buy from a brick and mortar shop (which my wife thinks is a good idea when buying a TV).

We're looking for between 22" and 26" widescreen display, preferably with HDTV tuner.

Any decent ones under $900? The 22" Aquos is not HDTV.

I hear Dell W2300 23 in. HDTV-Ready LCD and Samsung LT-P227W 22 in. HDTV-Ready LCD (around $870) are good alteratives.

Tom_J

Agent
FWIW, we picked up an Olevia 27 inch LCD from CompUSA a couple of weeks ago.

We were happy with the picture quality, but we only had standard cable signal going through it. The stretch mode was not too bad.

Xbox over component made me a happy boy tho. :D It was a great set for gaming.

In the end we took it back due to several factors:

1. the unit would hum when the power was turned on. Barely audible, but it was there. I wasn't sure if something was on it's way to failure.

2. I don't think it's a good set for the bedrooom. The volume at "1" was too loud for us to fall asleep to. So it's either no sound, or too much volume.

3. For our room, it was simply too big. We definitely need something in the 22-25 inch range.

BTW...CompUSA gave us no hassel for returning the set. It was returned within their 21 day period.

So if anyone has any recommendations, chime in! I'm looking at the Aquos 22 inch...but more money for less screen size is hard to justify right now.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I went with the Aquos 26" widescreen. Got it for $1400 online. I am quite happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks