What's new

Please recommend a decent receiver around $200-$250 (1 Viewer)

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I am looking for a new receiver to use with my dvd player and laserdisc player. I am far from an audiophile and I have had a Sony receiver for the last couple of years. I realize now that Sony receivers (especially the lower end ones) have bad reputations. The catalyst for me wanting to get another receiver is that the Sony will often not recognize the DTS signal being passed by my Pioneer Elite CLD-79. I am looking for a good value receiver in the $200-$250 price range. I have read good things about the Onkyo 502 and I can also get a Panasonic SAXR10 digital receiver, which I have heard good things about, for around $150 shipped. I was also wondering about the lower end Pioneers. I know threads like this are a dime a dozen but I would appreciate any help, thanks, Matt.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I've about decided on the Onkyo 502 for $208 shipped. I just want to make sure there are no compatibility issues regarding DTS Laserdiscs and that's why the Pioneers intrigue me. I can get a Pioneer 814 for $215 shipped but my head tells me the Onkyo is a better receiver (and cheaper) and will probably have no problem with the DTS from my CLD 79 like my cheap Sony did.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Never mind, it was a player, not a receiver.

Anyway, I've installed the 601 and it was a pretty good performer, so I don't see why you would have any issues with the 502. Should do fine with DTS, as long as the problem isn't your player.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I have tried my CLD-79, my 703, and a friend's CLD-99 and the receiver will lose the signal from DTS LD's with all 3 of them. This happens with the Coaxial or Optical. The receiver has no problems with PCM LD, Dolby Digital LD and DVD or DTS DVD, just with DTS LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks