Please recomend good Over-Ear Headphones.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg S, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Gregg S

Gregg S Auditioning

Im in need of a good pair of Over-Ear Headphones
    for my home system. For those late night hrs when I dont want my neighbors to be awoken etc.. My funds are up to 125.00...
    thanks

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Although I just upgraded to Sennheiser HD-600s, for years I've had AKG K-240s. The current version, K-240DF runs about $129. www.headphone.com also has the excellent K-501 on sale for $149.95 right now.
    You might also want to check out Sennheiser HD-495 for $79.
    There are only two reasons I replaced my 15-year-old AKGs: 1) They still sounded great but were starting to physically wear down, and 2) I got a great deal on the Sennheisers. In your price range, I prefer the AKGs over the Sennheisers, but something like this is entirely a matter of personal taste.
    You can look all of these models over at www.headphone.com .

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s and they are MAGICAL. they are the most comfortable and best sounding headphones you can have for under $200.
    email me if you're interested in orderind a new pair for $180 (direct from Germany with the warranty). [edit] the $180 includes shipping to the US, btw...
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on October 01, 2001 at 01:48 AM]

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I probably should try those Sennheiser units, but I still use and love my old Stax Gammas with outboard amp, that I got about 10 years ago...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I like my Sony MDR-V600's - run about 100 bucks. I like the Sennheiser's as well, but I think they 'leak' too much sound for my usage (I usually use them playing games or at the office blasting music while I work.) The Sony's do a great job of isolating the sound.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If you can streach your budget to $150 then you can buy the Sennheiser HD 580's Thomas was talking about. I bought these off ebay from hififorless for $150 brand new. Shipping is only like $7-10 and they do have warranty's also I believe. Anyway, The 580's are the best for the $$$. I am more than happy with mine.

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Sennheisers are great headphones but one must also check out some Grado's. The SR 125 models sounds like its in your budget but have one big drawback-an open air design. If you will be listening to them in an office enviroment or the like, then these are not for you. But once broken in, they do have a sweet sound.
    ------------------
    you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

8. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Sony MDR-V6 (not the V600) are pretty good for about $80.
    It is a closed design.

9. Josh LeClair

Josh LeClair Agent

Wow, i've never had to wait so long to register for a message board, I feel special [​IMG]
    Back to the topic. You could also check out Ubid.com for a pair of headphones, I picked up the Sennheiser HD 535's for about $30 and their a great pair of headphones.

10. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Gregg,
    I recently purchased a pair of AKG-501's from HeadRoom. They're on sale for $149 and I really enjoy them. They're open, over the ear style phones. I use them here in the office to listen to MP3s and CDs without annoying my co-workers.
    Here's a direct link to the sale page: http://www.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/AKG501.asp
    Like I said above, I've had them for a couple of months now and really enjoy them.
    Hth,
    ------------------
    pat----
    home: [email protected] ... office: [email protected]
    no home page yet, so ...
    Entertainment Center ---==*==--- DVD Collection