Please read if you've been following the Panasonic playing DVD-A MC issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigF, Dec 5, 2002.

1. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks to BrianC at DigitalAudioGuide forum for persevering with his Panny RA60. For the RP82 you similarly need to have your sub turned ON in the MultiChannel setup, then you can select the hi-res MC mix. Of course this is dumb, and is irrelevant as to whether you should be able to select the MC mix...a definite Panny software glitch, but a work-around.

Worth people with other models checking, JIC they have their players set up for no sub, and a similar glitch exists.

Explains why discs I *thought* had worked in MC now didn't: I had turned the sub OFF on my new RP82, but it had been ON on my previous one.

For people like me, who require the sub setting to be OFF in my system (I don't use a LFE channel so I can dispense with BM, which I don't like), it means I won't get much bass for DVD-A's from the sub, but at least I can hear the MC mixes.

Why some people set up no sub in the 82 menu when they DO have a sub: in the 82 there's no real BM, but when you select no sub in the 82 setup menu all LFE is directed to the front L and R outputs, that's why the 82 forces front L/R speakers to LARGE with no sub. That's the way I like it, as my front L/R pre outs feed the subs.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, thanks for the information. Much appreciated should I pick up one of the budget Panasonic players for my second system.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You guys probably already know this, but on the RP82, the DVD Video setting must be set to "OFF" in the Setup menu for DVD-A to work properly.

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The DVD-Video setting automatically goes to "Off" every time you open the drawer or turn the unit off.

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    KeithH, I don't know what you mean by budget, or the display capability of your second system. I still recommend the RP82 for its great video, regardless of your system, hard to beat at any price (according to many of those with the $$$ video players). Since RP82 is pretty much unavailable in stores and must be ordered by them anyway, might as well get it online. There have been reports of it going for $180-190 at some online places, somebody reported $170 at a Best Buy B&M though. Or the CP72 in the same price range, but I also haven't seen one of those working in a store yet.

I am glad we got a workaround for this DVD-A glitch, I can live with it, not a real big hassle. I really did not want to change the 82 for something else because I haven't seen anything that I'm certain has better video.

[OT, but my dealer was real nice about this. He had offered to replace my 82 with a new Panny model when they came out, if no "fix" was offered. That would probably be in at least 8 months, so that's quite an offer! Or a full refund now, after ~4 months of 82 use. There are benefits to getting known at your local dealer. However, I am still not inclined to go for this offer as who knows what they might change in the video circuitry for the sake of further cost competitiveness, will think about it though, but don't want to take advantage.]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, a $200 USD player would be in the right price range for a DVD-Audio player for my second system. This is just a stereo system, and there is no TV in there at present. However, I could move a 13" TV in there just to navigate DVD-Audio discs. Either the 'RP82 or 'CP72 would work for my purposes. I have not seen the 'RP82 in any stores, but I have seen the 'CP72 many times. The build quality on the 'CP72 is not too bad for the price. I generally prefer changers for convenience, and with the $30 rebate available on the 'CP72 right now, I could score one for well under $200, I believe. Anyway, a budget player is one approach.

I have also considered a second approach. If DVD-Audio ever does take off in the software department, I could replace the Technics DVD-A10 in my main system (first-generation DVD-Audio player) with a higher-end model and move the 'A10 to the second system. If I were to do this today, I would look long and hard at the Denon DVD-3800. Alternatively, I would look at the Onkyo DV-SP800, Integra DPS-8.3, and Yamaha DVD-S2300, though I wouldn't need the SACD capability. While I would spend much more money in the second approach, I would be better off in the end, as I'd still get a player in the second system (the 'A10 is an excellent performer) and I'd get a better player in the main system. However, I certainly am not going to invest in a $1000+ DVD-Audio player at this point in time. The software catalog is too limited.

For now, I am not ready to pull the trigger on a second DVD-Audio player. Software is coming out very slowly, and not all titles offer discrete stereo tracks, which I prefer to surround sound. An example is the forthcoming Elv1s disc.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Keith, ah, you don't want it for video then. In that case possibly the Denon 1600 is the cheapest good option. I do not have my DVD player directly in my stereo audio system, though I can direct it there by moving the digital cable...I bought the 82 strictly for the surround/video system. I am also not inclined to invest much money in SACD/DVD-A players at this point, strictly because of the limited titles for my taste.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

That is good news. Glad to see it is an easy fix.

I have ICBM bass management, so maybe thats why I never had this problem with the newer discs.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yes, if you use any form of BM you will always have the sub settings turned on. But, consider that BM is not an inherently "good thing", if you don't need it, it's more a requirement for some systems, it's more signal processing. Admittedly I'm more of the audiophile bent, so went to a bit of effort and cost to eliminate it, since my system components don't require it, got burned this time. Not everyone can eliminate BM of course, and the Outlaw ICBM is a lifesaver (and $$$-saver) for many, a great idea.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, no, audio is my main thing. I have my 'A10 routed to both my main stereo system via the stereo analog outputs and my home-theater system via the 5.1-channel outputs. This arrangement gives me the best of both worlds. As for the second system, a DVD-Audio player would be used for stereo DVD-Audio playback exclusively. I could get the Denon '1600 for the main system and move the 'A10 to the second system, but if I do get a new player for the main system, I might go beyond the '1600. As I said, something like the '3800 would appeal to me. For now, though, I can't justify buying a high-end DVD-Audio player. There just isn't enough software. Going the budget route for the second system by getting an 'RP82 or 'CP72 is more appealing right now, but might not be good for the long run.

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Keith, I understand what you mean, and I have a slightly different arrangement. I do not have my DVD players connected to my "good" stereo system, but rather direct the surround system front L&R preamp outputs to the stereo system L&R inputs. My connections from the RP82 are almost frightening (not much room and big locking connectors) for such a small unit but all go into the surround system: the 5.1 analog outs, the stereo analog outs, the digital out, the component outs. All the audio outputs can be processed completely differently, so I can do lots of stuff for my amusement, and depending on the DVD(-A) soundtrack and how much help it needs. The stereo DVD player outputs are very useful for the many older movies that only have stereo soundtracks, regardless that they are often called DD 5.1 (there's nothing except the front L&R), so they can be gently processed to fill the room.

I see you want to spend some more bucks, but if you care about video, I can guarantee the 1600 is very good. It is based on the RP56 for video, which I had until quite recently when I gave it to my parents (not that they ever use it...should have given them my Apex). I do not know much about how the 3800 rates these days, I must admit I consider DVD players as disposable at this stage, and it cost more than I was willing to allow. I imagine the HD-DVD will be around in 1-2 years, and the 1600/82 ought to be OK for that time-frame. OTOH, I don't mind blowing bucks on amps and CD players and speakers, because my CD's aren't going anywhere and amps and speakers are always useful, they don't get "standardized" into quick obsolescence.

Re the DVD-A's content, though I'm kinda old I like listening to new music, not especially mired in the past. SACD is mostly a lost cause for me, for instance I pretty much stopped listening to the Stones in '70, but Exile is their newest I can stand. SACD seems to be mostly oldies, lots of them on DVD-A too. But newer bands seem to prefer the video format, they're of the MTV era. I think Disturbed and Linkin Park are the only two new music DVD-A's I have, I'm not into typical pop either, but have bought a few that I thought "worthy", though I don't listen to them much. And one of the most prolific DVD-A labels puts out mostly trashy mixes, not worth buying over a good CD. The way I'm interpreting it, judging by releases, SACD is for old farts and DVD-A is for kids. Musically speaking.

12. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Please note that this "Panny" glitch is also now known to affect some Yamaha players similarly, same remedy, so be sure to notify your Yammie-owning friends, not inferring that you'd know anybody so misguided.[​IMG]

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, the '1600 is a very nice unit. However, I feel the build quality is a bit lacking for $500, plus it doesn't have a coaxial digital output. I realize it was designed after the 'RP56, and it shows. That's not a knock against the 'RP56. The 'RP56 was a budget player, but the '1600 is not, as far as I am concerned. For $500, I feel Denon should have made some more upgrades, especially by including a coaxial digital output. Anyway, I know the '1600 is a great unit, but not for me at this point.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the disposability of DVD players these days. Considering that I don't have an HDTV and that the catalog for DVD-Audio is limited at present, a player like the Denon DVD-3800, as good as it is, is overkill for me. My fiancee and I have plans to get an HDTV at some point, and when we do, if the DVD-Audio software catalog is considerably more impressive, then I will consider buying something of the quality of the '3800, whatever it may be at that point. So, I go back to the option of simply buying a 'CP72 for my second system and leaving the 'A10 in the main system. The problem there is that I will probably end up with a DVD-Audio player that I don't need someday (i.e., assuming I upgrade in the main system). If the DVD-Audio software catalog were more impressive, I would buy a 'CP72 and not think twice. However, I think I will just stick with one DVD-Audio player for now. I've been considering the purchase of a DVD-Audio player for the second system for months now and have held off. I think I will hold off awhile longer.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Agree Keith, the 1600 seemed pricey to me too, but good audio, and since I really just wanted something for video, the 82 des it. Have you been reading the RP82 Discontinued thread at AVS? Seems to be lots of reports that they're getting much harder to get these days, though they've never been exactly falling off trees. And reports of dealers saying they're "discontinued". Hard to figure, though the CP72 is similar. I needed a coax out for my DAC's though, for the odd time I use the 82 in the stereo system.

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Wayne, somebody reported ordering it there, and that was the price they were given, got a printout off the BB computer system too IIRC 'cause they didn't believe it. I think it was last week. BB carries Panny, and so far I haven't heard of any B&M that actually has the 82 on the shelf, everybody seems to have to order them. I'm in Canada, and they rarely sell for less than $230 here, $250 more common.

The way things are going, if you want an RP82 in the next couple of months, you'll have to take one from wherever you can get it, at the price they want...

17. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

BestBuy.com doesn't have the RP82, but I did see it at my local Best Buy store a week ago. Don't recall the price.

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yes, people should try Best Buy JIC. That post above re the $170 price quote was given at a U.S. BB B&M, they can order them. They don't stock anything as good as the RP82 at BB in Canada, kind of a lower-end selection of everything. Also, Sears in Canada has reportedly been a reliable supplier of 82's in the Toronto area (must order it), so maybe they can order them at the U.S. Sears too??? Locally, it's the Sears warehouse that has them, not the Panny distributor, Sears keeps their own small stockpile of stuff it seems.

What I'm getting at is there are alternative sources that may not be sold out in your area due to the internet feeding frenzy.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, I had not heard about the 'RP82 possibly being discontinued. Perhaps Panasonic feels there is redundancy between it and the 'CP72. However, as you said, the 'CP72 does not have a coaxial digital output. It will be shame if Panasonic does phase out the 'RP82 at this stage, as it seems to be a bit early.

20. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Future Shop in Calgary has the Rp-82 on the shelf for $399CAN or approx. $255 US.

Steve